Urogynecology Expert Forum
Excessive urination after drinking fluids

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I'm a 23 y/o female and i had this problem for a few weeks now. As soon as I have a drink, no matter what it is, few minutes on and I need the toilet. It is almost as if i couldn't keep the fluid in my body, I will need a pee up to 5 times in an hr. Some days are worse than others, when I'm at work where i move around quite a bit, my urinating seems normal, but when I get home, and lay down with something to drink, I just run back and forth to the toilet. I do not feel thirsty all the time, my mouth gets a little bit dry sometimes. I haven't lost any weight, I have a normal apetite. I weigh around 126 pounds and I'm 166 cm tall. Is it because I don't do any excersise or lay down without moving, that this is happening? If I'm being active I only need the toilet every few hours, it's almost as if my body doesn't need as many fluids as I have, but I only drink a glass/cup of something every couple of hours with a meal or a sandwich/chocolate bar. When I urinate it doesn't hurt, I haven't noticed any blood in it, the colour seems normal and it is just a normal amount of urine. I'm on the Pill, have been for the last 2 years, and I have an active sexlife with my long term partner. I tend to urinate a few times like this after sex, but not always. Often I need a pee before sex too. Could my problem have a psychological background? My life's been a bit more stressful than usual recently. My problem with the excessive urinating seems to go away when I'm on the move, doing things like shopping or socialising. There is no history of diabetes in my family, and as I said I'm on the pill and haven't missed a single period so I don't see how I could be pregnant. I fainted at work but came to a few seconds after a couple of weeks ago. My doctor couldn't see any obvious reasons but I was off work for a little while. I feel normal now though. Can this be associated to my excessive urinating in any way? I will see a doctor soon but I would like to know what should I expect to hear?
COnsider getting your urine cultured for infection. If this is negative, and your gynecologic evaluation is also negative, get an evaluation for pelvic floor muscle trigger points. If these are present, get them treated by the physical therapist and this should cure your problem. If it does not, get an evaluation by a urogynecologist, who may be able to help identify the underlying source of the problem, and offer you therapy to address it.

Dr. Hoyte