Urogynecology Expert Forum
Fallen Uterus

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Fallen Uterus

I started having freqent urinary last week and now I find I cannot control the flow once the urge comes. There is an incredible pressure when i releive myself. I went to a walk in clinic and they have prescribed Macrobid 100MG . Is this safe to take to releive the pain prior to seeing my family Doctor .

What type of surgery is prescribed these days
Thank you
**
Sorry to read of your problem.  Macrobid is a relatively safe antibiotic provided you do not have a allergy to the medication.  If your urgency is related to an infection, the antibiotic may help.  

Surgery is generally not indicated for urgency.  It is more appropriately used in patients that have Stress Urinary Incontinence (leak with cough or sneeze) and patients with Pelvic Organ Prolapse (falling of the Uterus, Bladder, Rectum, Vagina).  

Surgery for these conditions have come a long way.  We now use much less invasive techniques with less recovery time needed and better success rates.  Most of these procedures are done vaginally but may be done by laparoscope or robotic in certain instances.  

Your primary doctor can determine if you have an infection.   To determine if you have pelvic organ prolapse, your primary care physician or gynecologist.  can do a basic pelvic exam.  Treatment of these conditions is best left to the specialist, Urogynecologist or Gynecologist that treat prolapse routinely.