Urogynecology Expert Forum
Stress urinary incontinence, physical therapy, exercises.
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Stress urinary incontinence, physical therapy, exercises.

I've had SUI for 4-5 years, leaking urine with coughing, sneezing, heavy lifting, etc.  My gynecologist explained the testing she does for it and the surgery for a sling, but first referred me to a urologist.  The urologist did an exam and when she asked me to cough, there was no leakage at that time (that figures, the one time I want it to happen). She said that upon the exam, she noted my urethra moved backward/forward (not sure how she explained that) but said it's called urethral hypermobility and is most commonly seen in women who have given birth, but I have not.  She has now referred me for physical therapy evaluation and treatment.  I have been doing Kegal exercises but they haven't helped. She said if PT doesn't help or I choose not to go, she also explained surgery with sling.  Is PT very successful in SUI?  I'm not optimistic at all but am going to try it.  What about an MMK procedure for SUI?  Which is better?  I know I should consider myself lucky that I don't have worse SUI like lots of woman and should just live with this, but it is very embarrassing when it happens and I'm not sure I can handle this for the rest of my life.  Age is 52, premenopause, and will SUI get worse after menopause?  Thanks for answering all my questions.