Urogynecology Expert Forum
bladder prolapse surgery

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

bladder prolapse surgery

I am scheduled on the 24th to have prolapse surgery.  My Doctor is using a biological mesh (bovine fetal) after placing the bladder back into place to reinforce the wall.

I was in end stage 2 of prolapse with the bladder being flush with the vagina.  My two complaints were the need to urinate all the time (I believe because urethera is kinked) and a tugging sensation and discomfort when I am on my feet for two long of a time.

Is this type of surgery usually successful?  Will I have to have it done again (I am 40 years old)?  Are there things I can do to avoid this from happening again?

Thanks Lori
Urinary frequency (needing to urinate all the time) is not an indication for prolapse repair surgery. Tugging/discomfort in the lower back after a long day, occasionally is a symptom of prolapse, but that prolapse  is usually stage 3 or beyond. Stage 3 prolapse is diagnosed, when the vagina bulges out to well beyond the labia. Women with stage 3 prolapse can usually see the bulge if they squat and strain down (using a mirror if necessary). Stage 2 prolapse is extremely common in women who have delivered vaginally, and is not usually considered a reason for prolapse repair surgery. Prolapse surgery is unlikely to cure the symptoms you describe.

You should consider having your symptoms evaluated individually. Your urinary frequency may be related to a bladder infection, or to active trigger points in your pelvic floor muscles. This is more likely to be true if you have pain with deep intercourse. An evaluation by a qualified urogynecologist should readily diagnose this. Treatment is by pelvic floor physical therapy, which can be quite successful.  Alternatively, the urinary frequency can be relieved by medications like Vesicare, or behavioral therapy training. The tugging feeling that you describe can also be related to pelvic muscle problems, and this can also be diagnosed by a urogynecologist, and treated by physical therapy.  Since prolapse is not a medical emergency, you may benefit from getting  these problems evaluated before moving onto any surgical intervention.
1 Comment
A related discussion, details of prolapse bladder surgery was started.