Urogynecology Expert Forum
sex after surgery for prolapsed bowel and bladder

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I had surgery for a prolapsed bowel and bladder 8 weeks ago. Post op was extremely painful, eventually had to knock me out again in recovery. Fainted the next day but was later released as felt a lot better.
2 weeks later bleeding started.  It seems i had blood clots and that was where the pain came from. I bled for 5 days. After 3 weeks, i finally started feeling like my old self.
Now, my husband and i have tried intercourse twice, and i cannot bear it. Everything feels too tight and i feel like i am going to pass out.
Can you tell me what to do from here? My next appointment with my gynaecologist is not for another month yet.

Hi Nikki,

Sorry to hear about your trouble.  I generally recommend abstinence from vaginal intercourse for six week after surgery.  During this time healing is taking place, inflammation is present, and where there is inflammation there is likely to be pain and tenderness.  If you are having a problem your surgeon I suspect will see you sooner than your scheduled follow up in 1 month.  Don't hesitate to call for an earlier appointment.  Sometimes it takes a little longer for suture material to absorb and this might contribute to the problem.  If you had a significant hematoma (collection of blood) this might prolong the healing phase as well.  If permanent synthetic graft material was used in your surgery your doctor should make sure there is no erosion, infection, or areas of "banding" involving the graft.  You can ask your surgeon specifically about these things.  Good luck.