Urogynecology Expert Forum
urine test, white and red blood cells
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

urine test, white and red blood cells

What does it mean when you have both red and white blood cells in your urine? I have had UTIs before and I recently went to the ER because of symptoms of frequent urination, being bloated, tender,and after urinating, not quite of a burning but a tingling/pressure.  Also it hurt (felt pressure), sitting and my back hurt a bit.  They took a urine sample and sent me home with prescriptions and told me to follow up with my pcp, which I did, he said the results stated that I had both red and white blood cells in my urine.  He suggested I see my GYN since my history includes having several fibroids removed, a LSH, and an abdominal wall mass removed with quite a bit of endometriosis.  My doc would not give me a refill on the medicine, which I questioned because sometimes it takes another round of the meds before you get better, which they even told me in the ER and I have experienced from past UTIs.  If not a UTI, then what could it be?