Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia Community
How old is everyone with WM?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS), multiple myeloma, and plasmapheresis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How old is everyone with WM?

I  was diagnoised just after my 18th birthday with Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia, I've been battling WM and SSI for almost 3 years now...how old where when you where diagnoised? I've been told that I'm one of the youngest if not the youngest to have this, not to mention I don't have any of the criteria risk factors that most people have when this contract this. I'm a 20 year old girl of Latin decent, and have never had any other kind of illness ever in my lif I've never even had the chicken pox. Please respond and let me know how old you are or you where when you where dianoised?

3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,

About half of patients with WM are more than 60 years old.

You are right, that you are fairly young to have this condition, but the disease in itself is pretty uncommon. This being the case, a pattern of age distribution won’t be as robust as for other cancers like Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Since you are young, I would wonder if it is not really a leukemia/lymphoma with over production of the IgM component. Some of these hematologic malignancies do evolve over time. Perhaps it is best to discuss things with your doctor to make sure that the disease is still behaving as per the diagnosis.  

Stay positive.
Blank
Hi!

I was 29 when I was diagnosed. My doctor believes I'm the youngest person in Sweden to have this condition. The diagnosis was preceeded by a two year long medical investigation as to why my SR was rising. Today I'm 30,5 years old.

Best Wishes:)
Blank
264121_tn?1313033056
My grandmother is 88.  She was diagnosed two years ago, however, she has probably had it for some years as she has been symptomatic.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...