Acne Community

Acne as an adult/ dry skin

Hi everyone! I'm twenty-five and I'm still struggling with acne.  The problem is that my skin is also dry but when I use moisturizer I break out even worse.  Does anyone have any treatment suggestions?  Also, I understand it's normal to continue to break out even as an adult but I thought that didn't happen unless you were menstruating or pregnant.  Anyone know more than me?
Hi, I am 43 and female with adult acne. I tried Accutane with no success and horrible side effects. After many years and acne scars I finally found something that helped. I had my Gynecologist prescribe it for me and now my family physician prescribes it. It's call Spironolactone. I take 50mg one time a day. It's really a diuretic but it blocks the effects of a hormone that causes oiliness and breakouts. It takes a week or so to see the full affect but it has been like a miracle to me. I have been taking it for about 10 years now. Do not take potassium supplements because this is a potassium sparing diuretic. If your like me the diuretic is a good thing. Also, I use the following skin care regimen:

I cleanse my face with Bath and Body Works shower gel because it leaves no residue to clog pores.

Next I use MaryKay's #3 Blemish Control Toner from their basic skin care collection. It contains salicylic acid that unclogs pores. I've tried a lot of salicylic acid products on the market and this works the best. I think it's worth mentioning that I do not use MaryKay's facial cleanser because it does clog my pores.

After that I use MaryKay's #3 Oil Control Lotion from the same collection. It will moisturize without clogging your pores. I love it, love it, love it. It also gives my skin a nice matt affect.

Lastly, If you find you need more of a moisturizer MaryKay makes a product called  Oil Free Hydrating Gel for Normal to Oily Skin. Great product.

I know it sounds like I'm pushing MaryKay but I have tried just about everything, some that were very expensive. MaryKay works the best for my skin by far. I do not sell MaryKay but you can go to their website to find a representative near you.

This regimen in combination with the Spironolactone has been a God send. I don't know why we're not told about this medication. It may be that it's not FDA approved for use in acne but your Dr. can still prescribe it. Good luck in your Quest for acne free skin.
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions