Acne Community

Holes on surface of nose

Hello, the pic in my profile is my current state of condition which has only gotten worse as the years go by. Since I was as young as 12-13, there has been a very tiny dot in the center of my nose (smaller then a piercing) and every now and then a nose hair would grow out of it. Thinking nothing of it myself and parents never thought it was anything to get checked because to this day it has never given me pain or discomfort. Well as you can see that tiny dot that started out 15 years ago has widened and multiplied. For the first time last year I finally saw a dermo who was unable to explain what is going on. Based on the fact that I told her, if I squeeze the hole it will discharge white, puss like fluid which does have a bad odor to it she was led to believe that there could be some form of a cyst beneath my skin that needs to be removed. She told me that by doing so she would have to stitch me back up which would leave a scar on my nose. I'm just wanting to know if someone could give me a diagnosis of what this could be and if so, are there any other methods of treatment (i.e laser, topical cream)
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment on what this could be. An infected cyst or an abscess is the most likely possibility. I would suggest having this evaluated by an ENT specialist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Reconstructive/ cosmetic surgery may be required to avoid scar formation as the lesion heals up. You may like to discuss the options with your doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions