Acne Community

Very Dry Skin

In the last two years my skin, (mainly my face) has been extremely dry to the point I can't use any form or type of foundation without getting really dry and flaky. The only time my face does not feel dry is after I put my ponds night cream on. I use daily mositurizers with spf and they relieve my skin until it dries. I have become very self conscious about this because my complexion looks awful and i cant even get a luminous glow. My skin looks dull and feels tight. The same problem happens under my eyes as well. I use a day and night cream for that area as well. I don't understand how to give my skin the mositure it needs so it won't be flaky and dry anymore. I'm only 22. I don't smoke or drink, I stopped tanning almost 2 years ago, I drink tons of water and avoid soda. For the most part I eat healthy. I have gone to my dermatologist for help and he told me to use the DML lotion and cetaphil gentle cleanser. My skin is so sensitive that it doesnt respond well to a lot of products i have tried. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what is wrong!
Hi there!

The type of skin one has is mainly genetic and there is little that can be done to change it. However symptoms can be prevented by taking adequate care of the skin. It is advised to keep the skin clean and moist at all times. You could use a cold cream commercially available in the market or body oil like olive oil over the dry areas. Whenever you skin feels dry clean it with a mild cream based soap or cleansing milk and apply fresh cream/ oil. Rub your skin with a light cream/ oil before applying make-up. Avoid using excessive make up or toners. Clean all make up with cleansing milk. Try taking plenty of water even when you are not thirsty. If things do not tend to improve with these measures, you may like to consult a primary care physician to look for secondary causes such as hormonal/ endocrine/ metabolic/ autoimmune issues, that may be involved.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions