angina in diabetics

My husband (now 47yrs) has been having diabetes since he was 35. Last week he got angina and the angiogram showed 70 percent block in the main artery. He has never had high cholesterol nor does he eat meat. His BP is normal. His diabetes was in good control until the last couple of months when he also started stressing out due to family affairs. My question is could just stress cause a block in the artery?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you, doctor, it was really helpful.
Helpful - 0
HI,
People with diabetes are considered to be at high risk for the development of coronary artery disease. At least twice as likely as someone who does not have diabetes to have heart disease or a stroke.  High blood glucose levels over time can lead to increased deposits of fatty materials on the insides of the blood vessel walls. These deposits may affect blood flow, increasing the chance of clogging and hardening of blood vessels (atherosclerosis). Stress, obesity, smoking are contributory factors.
Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Angina Community

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.