Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cats Community
4.02k Members
5978650 tn?1377722771

swelling of kittens forehead/face

I have a kitten that I rescued from outside when he was 3 months old and started him on a bottle.  His mother is wild and was very sick so I started giving her meds in a little evaporated milk.  He started having seizures and and his breathing was really bad, so I took him to the vet.  They put him on the scale and he weighed 1oz. They said he had pneumonia and was put on meds right away.  He is almost 6 months old and still on a bottle!  He refuses to eat solid food of any sort.  The vet said I had to make him eat some sort of food being that he is too old for a bottle and recommended I start putting baby cereal in his bottles.  But alas that is not working, he is still gagging when soft food touches his tongue and throws up.  So now that you got an idea of what I am dealing with, two days ago his face/forehead became so swollen that he has no facial structure at all.  His eye swelled shut this morning and is turning inside out.  I am disabled and I can't work, with no money coming in I don't know what to do.  I can't afford to take him into the vet for a Cat scan and everything..... any suggestions would be greatly accepted.  Please help me figure out what I can do
3 Responses
874521 tn?1424116797
COMMUNITY LEADER
bless you for taking this poor little guy in and trying to save him......I wish I could help with your question but we can't diagnosis anything we are just pet parents here on this forum. you kitten really needs veterinary care to diagnosis what is causing this swelling and the seizures, without care and being able to eat a nutritious species appropriate diet I'm afraid his outlook is pretty grim..
he needs protein(meat) in order to thrive, cats are carnivores and cannot live on milk alone.
have you tried a dish of soft chicken from a baby food jar(NO onions)? something to get him to get accustomed to the texture of food in his mouth?
love to you both♥
134578 tn?1578157483
I don't like the sound of the swelling.  If you cannot help him, I think you should take him to the vet or the ASPCA for humane euthanasia.  I assume that sounds heartless, but if the swelling continues, he will die.  Sometimes all we can do is get the kitty to a place where death will be painless and not prolonged.  I am so very sorry.
134578 tn?1578157483
I see from your status that your cat is feeling a little better.  I hope that continues!  
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424116797
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439842983
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402543492
CA
740516 tn?1360942486
Brazil
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.