Cholesterol Community
529 Members

Please share your experience with statins side effects.

Drug or food interactions: Consuming large quantities of grapefruit juice, more than 1 quart per day, decreases the ability of the liver to metabolize some statins, such as atorvastatin, simvastatin, or lovastatin. Also, and possibly more importantly, statins and certain other medications can interact, causing serious side effects. Tell the doctor about any prescription and nonprescription medications the patient is taking, including the following:VitaminsHerbal supplementsMedication for your immune system, such as cyclosporine, a drug prescribed following organ transplantationOther cholesterol medications, such as fibrates or nicotinic acidMedication for infections, such as erythromycin, telithromycin, clarithromycin (Biaxin), itraconazole (Sporanox), or ketoconazole (Nizoral, Extina, Xolegel, Kuric)Verapamil (Calan, Verelan, Verelan PM, Isoptin, Isoptin SR, Covera-HS), diltiazem (Cardizem, Dilacor, Tiazac and several others), amiodarone (Cordarone), or dioxinBirth control pillsMedication for HIV or AIDS, such as indinavir (Crixivan) or ritonavir (Norvir)Warfarin (Coumadin) (warfarin may have an increased effect when administered with some statins, such as rosuvastatin, lovastatin, or simvastatin. The international normalized ratio [INR] must be closely monitored when warfarin is administered with statins.)Side Effects: Statins are well tolerated, and serious side effects are rare.If you experience diffuse muscle soreness, pain, and weakness; vomiting; or stomach pain or if your urine is brown (a possible sign of muscle breakdown), contact your doctor immediately and stop taking the statin medication. You may need blood tests for possible muscle problems. Rarely, widespread muscle breakdown, known as rhabdomyolysis, can occur, usually in people who are taking other drugs that interfere with the breakdown of the statin and in people with advanced kidney problems. This is a medical emergency.Some people experience an upset stomach, gas, constipation, and abdominal pain or cramps. These symptoms are usually mild to moderate and generally disappear as the body adjusts to the medication. Liver function is usually monitored in patients taking statins. Rare reports of neuropathy (numbness and tingling) affecting the hands, arms, feet, and legs have been described.
I have been on statin medication off and on for 15 months now, and I have been in a lot of pain in my feet and ankle. Now I have very bad pain in my left hand and wrist and the right hand. I stay very busy all the time. For the past two weeks I haven't been able to do yard work, it is so painful. It was so painful yesterday to even make the bed with clean sheets or cooking dinner or cleaning up after dinner. I had a shot today in the right wrist in hopes it helps so I will be able to sleep tonight. I am stopping the statin as of 11/13/2015 and see what happens in the next 10 days. The pain is awful. Hello doctors, listen to the patients and start talking to each other.
I started taking Lipitor (statin) in 2001 and stopped taking it in 2006 due to gradual memory loss which was apparent to my husband and children. It got so bad that every conversation with family was always ending with me denying that I'd ever heard what they were telling me and being bewildered and upset. It took almost 5 months before I was back to normal.
Statin side effects can be really harsh. I get muscle spasms that hit in the middle of the night, and nothing seems to ward them off. I have literally been stirred from a sound sleep, and hit the floor because I was unable to stand on my cramping legs. Falls at 62 years old can be risky enough! My cholesterol level is over 300. My physician has put me on an injection drug, which also causes spasms, but not quite as severe. He originally prescribed the injections twice per month (bi-weekly), but the spasms were too severe at that rate. I can only take the injection 1 time per month, which isn't ideal, but it is all my system will allow.
I put up with muscle pain and loss of strength for 6 years after taking 80 mg Zocor for 7 months. I finally found BCAAs (branched chain amino acids) which athletes use for muscle soreness, seem to help a lot. Just Google statins or mitochondrial damage BCAA.
I tried red rice yeast which contains the same chemical as lovastatin. I put on 4 kg in 10 days and ache all over. I usually run 5 km 2 or 3 times a week but felt too tired, anxious as well. No more.