4 month skin problem please help

Around 4 months ago all of a sudden i started getting little small itchy spots mostly around my legs and  knees. I went to the doctors and he thought it may be an allergy to an insect bite and prescribed me steroid cream and moisturiser. This helped for around a few weeks but generally it has got much worse. Moved from my legs to my elbows mainly and patches on arms, legs, ankles, stomach, back . Itches like crazy and flares up and down during the day with no real pattern. If i scratch the small spots too much they turn into scabs. I am worried this is a sign of something serious but I had a blood test before christmas and it came back normal. Could this be food related? Some people think its eczema but when I ask friends/family members that have eczema they disagree. Have also tried buying eczema cream from boots and only really soothes skin for a while but doesn't stop the itching. Also tried cream for itching/irritation and this does not work. Would really love any information anybody thinks as getting to the end of my tether and having to wait so long for another doctor appointment. Thanks
A fungus infection, altered by application of steroid.(Tinea incognito) is likely.