Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

Is it safe?

Is it safe to use common over the counter wart treatments on ones penis? Im not sure if I have molluscum or what but if I can get rid of it by myself I will try. It has been nearly 4 years.
1 Responses
Hi,
A wart is generally a small, rough tumor, typically on hands and feet, that can resemble a cauliflower or a solid blister. Genital warts (or Condyloma, Condylomata acuminata, or venereal warts) is a highly contagious sexually transmitted infection caused by some sub-types of human papillomavirus (HPV). It is spread through direct skin-to-skin contact during oral, genital, or anal sex with an infected partner.
Genital warts often occur in clusters and can be very tiny or can spread into large masses in the genital or penis area.
Genital warts may disappear without treatment, but sometimes eventually develop a fleshy, small raised growth. There is no way to predict whether they will grow or disappear.
Imiquimod (Aldara) a topical immune response cream can be applied to the affected area .
Molluscum contagiosum (MC) is a viral infection of the skin or occasionally of the mucous membranes.Many health professionals recommend treating bumps located in the genital area to prevent them from spreading.
Molluscum contagiosum lesions are flesh-colored, dome-shaped, and pearly in appearance.
Daily topical application of tretinoin cream ("Retin-A 0.025%") may also trigger resolution. These treatments require several months for the infection to clear, and are often associated with intense inflammation and possibly discomfort.
So it is not advised for you to treat yourself.Get it examined by a dermatologist who will be able to make a more accurate diagnosis.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molluscum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genital_wart

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions