Itchy skin

I have very itchy skin on my legs and under my arms. I was given an allergy test when I was young and said that I had an allergy to the cold. I moved from a town with filtered well water to a town with city water that contains chemicals. Reguardless I cant stop itching. I do not have raised bumps or a rash and no indication of an infection what so ever. It gets so bad that I have to itch it wil a hard hair brush. Any suggestions?
Itchy skin that isn't accompanied by other obvious skin changes, such as a rash, is most often caused by dry skin (xerosis). Skin conditions like psoriasis, dermatitis, fungal infections and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals, wool, soaps, cosmetics and certain foods can cause itchy skin.

You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Please take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist. He/She will start with the specific medications. If an internal disease is found, whether it's kidney disease, iron deficiency or a thyroid problem, treating that disease often relieves the itch. Lastly, Phototherapy can also be tried.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.