Itchy skin

I have what I think is dry skin. I live in minnesota and when the weather started to get very cold and dry I started taking hotter and longer showers than usual. and now my skin is very itchy. However it only itches when I start to sweat or do any kind of work out like lifting weights or running. When I start to itch my skin get red blotchy spots all over and little red bumps like the size of goose bumps only not as many and red in color. I have tried taking cooler shorter showers and putting vasoline on my skin but the condition continues, and I have no health insurance so I cant really go to the doctor. Any Information will help me greatly thanks.

The itchy skin that you are having is due to xerosis. Dry skin results when there is not enough water in the stratum corneum for it to function properly.

The mainstay of management is liberal use of moisturizers after washing with luke warm water. Soap should be used minimally. Moisturizers should be reapplied liberally during the day.You can also use a topical cortisone (steroid) cream or ointment like dermacort(hydrocortisone). Adding a humidifier to the central heating system of your home or using a humidifier also helps.

If still the symptoms persisit then possibility of eczema or atopic dermatitis,psoriasis, ichthyosis (fish scale-like skin) or pitted keratolysis is there.Pls consult a dermatologist and get them ruled out.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Warm regards.