ROSACEA IS *&^%$#@!@*& UP!

Sorry, a little aggrevated with my skin. I went to the dermatologist and they told me it was Rosacea. It is so annoying and the redness will not go away. I have never had this until I had my first child at 26. It seems to only be getting worse everyday. I have taken pills, and had a few laser treatments, but did not notice any substantial difference. I was wondering, does anyone know if a chemical peel would be a bad idea? Any info about any of this would be helpful!  Thanks!

While rosacea cannot be cured, it can be treated and controlled. A dermatologist, a medical doctor who specializes in diseases of the skin, often treats rosacea. Treatment goals are to control the condition and improve appearance.

Doctors usually prescribe a topical antibiotic, such as metronidazole, that is applied directly to the affected skin.

For people with more severe cases, doctors often prescribe an oral (taken by mouth) antibiotic. Tetracycline, minocycline, erythromycin, and doxycycline are the most common antibiotics used to treat rosacea. Some people respond quickly, while others require long-term therapy.

Isotretinoin may be considered as a treatment option for all forms of severe or therapy-resistant rosacea.

Electrosurgery and laser surgery may be options to treat redness, enlarged blood vessels, and rhinophyma. In some patients, laser surgery may result in improved skin appearance with little scarring or damage. For patients with rhinophyma, several surgical methods may help reduce the size of the nose and improve appearance.

Sunscreens, particularly those that protect against ultraviolet A and B light waves and have a sun-protecting factor (SPF) of 13 or higher, are recommended for all people with rosacea.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.