A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
54k Members

Scalp Itchyness and scabs

Hi,
I have never really had and scalp problems and I am 18 years old. Both my parents have dandruff and my mother has psoriasis. I have recently had clip in metal tipped hair extensions that I got from china. A few days after putting them in my scalp became really itchy and when I removed them I found there were scabs on my scalp. I still have both these symptoms and am worried that I have caught something from the hair or had some kind of reaction..
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
-Tess
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374246539
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,

Without examination confirming a diagnosis is tough but these symptoms can be due to ring worms or contact irritant dermatitis.

Ringworm is a fungal skin infection that occurs on the face, body or scalp. The symptoms of Ringworm or Tinea Capitis include a dry itchy scalp, scaling, crusting, inflamed nodules, hair loss and tender enlarged lymph nodes on the neck.  Because of the scratching that is involved with the condition it can become secondarily infected with a bacterial infection.

Contact dermatitis is a skin reaction resulting from exposure to allergens (allergic contact dermatitis) or irritants (irritant contact dermatitis).

Take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin for some days.Also apply mild steroid cream and calamine on the itchy areas.If symptoms become severe,then pls consult a dermatologist to rule out ring worms as treatment for ring worms is entirely different.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions