Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

Skin discoloration

I am a 28 yr old woman. I have two children of whom the youngest is 8. I have skin discolorations on my cheeks and lower face that look like i got a tan with shades on. In looking back at pictures, it had to have appeared in the last 2 years. Is there a home remedy treatment for this? or do i need to go see a doctor...if there is anything that can be done at all.
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
This skin discoloration is due to melasma. It is caused by hormonal changes, which stimulate a temporary increase in your body's production of melanin. People with darker complexions are more prone to this condition than people with lighter skin.

Treatment options include treatment with vitamin C and hydrocortisone, peel with carbon dioxide snow and alexandrite and ND-Yag Q-Switched laser treatment preceded by a hydroquinone-based application. Please discuss these options with your dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions