Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

Skin

I am 8weeks pregnant and I have had eczema since I was a kid. I use to only get it on my stomach and neck.
Now I have rashes all down both legs and on both arms and on my breast and stomach. The itch is driving me insane.. Is this normal?
1 Responses
Hi

Skin rashes that occur during pregnancy can be non-specific (such as due to allergies, medicines, insect bites, skin infections, viral infections, parasites, tumours) or rashes specific to pregnancy called as specific dermatoses (skin disorders) of pregnancy.
The various examples of pregnancy rashes are PUPPP - (pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy), papular dermatitis of pregnancy, prurigo gestationis, herpes gestationis and rarely impetigo herpetiformis.

Since you have a childhood history of eczema, it may be a form of eczematous rash in your case or may be prurigo gestationis. The latter occurs in two forms, the early onset where the rash is seen on the upper trunk and upper parts of arms and legs and a late form, which affects the abdomen, usually on striae (stretch marks).

You should consult a doctor for an early advice on diagnosis and treatment of the condition. A skin biopsy may be required sometimes to detect the exact nature of the lesions.

Take care

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions