Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

Sun Rash

I was at the beach being in the sun for two days for about 5 hours each day.  I have developed a rash on my chest and on my arms where your arms bend.  The rash is very itchy.  Is there a rash that is related to sun exposure.  I have also been taking predisone 10mg each for about 10 days now due to poison ivy, could this be some cause of the irritation?
1 Responses
Hi,
The rash due to sun exposure is called physical allergy.Cholinergic urticaria is a subcategory of physical urticaria (aka hives) that is a skin rash brought on by a hypersensitive reaction to body heat. Symptoms follow any stimulus to sweat such as exercise (sometimes called exercise-induced urticaria), heat from the sun (which could also indicate solar urticaria), saunas, hot showers .
The visible hives (sometimes called heat bumps) appear as a multitude of small 2-3 mm welts typically surrounded by patches of red skin. The affected area will often feel warm and can be extremely itchy or exhibit a burning sensation. Typically the rash occurs on the upper trunk and the arms but can appear on other parts of the body.
The rash typically develops within a few minutes of a rise in body temperature but can take longer to appear visibly on the skin. The visible rash is often preceded by a general warming of the skin or itchiness. The hives last from a half an hour to several hours.
Cholinergic urticaria can be very difficult to treat.Drug treatment is typically in the form of antihistamines such as loratadine (Claritin), hydroxyzine, cetirizine and other H1 receptor antagonists.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholinergic_urticaria
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions