What are my options for keloid scar removal

When I was 15 I had corrective surgery on my spine for scoliosis, I was left with a keloid scar that goes over half way around my waist, and I was told by my surgeon and my GP that that was extremely likely due to my skin colour and I could basically do nothing about it. Now that I am 18 due to my own research I know that is not the case, however I have several questions. As I have waited so long after my surgery are steroid injections still an option for me? If so would I be able to receive this treatment on the NHS (as I live in the UK)? If I cannot receive this treatment on the NHS, how much could I expect it to cost privately? Furthermore, I have seen other treatments for this type of scar, which would be the most suitable due to the age of my scar?, I would really appreciate an answer, thank you in advance.
There are several treatment options available for the keloid treatment like mederma (allium cepa), natural treatments like mucin from the snail helix, moist wound dressings made of silicone gel which decreases the prominence of keloid scar over sometime, steroid injections, compression bandages, cryosurgery, and radiation & laser therapy. Surgery can also be done but the recurrence rate is up to 50% and the recurrent scar which develops is actually much bigger in size. Remember that no treatment is 100% effective in the case of keloids.  

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.