Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

cold sore scaring

My cold scab, half of it came off and it looks like a pink bare skin,am wandring if it is going to fade, or am i going to get my lip back again, can you please help
1 Responses

Hi,
Cold sores (fever blisters) are small red blisters that usually appear on the lips and outer edges of the mouth. They usually appear after colds, fevers, exposure to the sun, stress and other conditions which cause the immunity of the body to dip.
They are usually caused by herpes virus which are latent in the body and can flare up when the immune levels of the body get disrupted.

Most cold sores will clear up on their own in a week to ten days time. You can use Vaseline  or glycerin to provide moisturization to keep the cold sore moist.  This also acts as a mechanical barrier to guard the skin and lips from irritants.

Topical analgesics/anaesthetics including benzocaine, lidocaine, benzyl alcohol, camphor, menthol and phenol help provide local pain control and may help reduce the itching.
Oral analgesics such as ibuprofen and acetominophen also provide temporary relief from the pain. Application of a Vitamin E cream may help in faster healing.

The pink area in the site where the scab came off will heal and regain its color even if it takes some time.

ref:http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_coldso.htm
ref: http://www.skintherapyletter.com/treat/cold_sores/

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions