generalized itchy skin

I get itchy out of the blue. For instance the inside of my elbows, or my forehead, or my leg, etc. I will begin light scratching and before I know it I look down and there are tiny little red bumps there. I don't know if they were there before or after I started scratching. Also get itchy scalp. It can just be anywhere. Can put on anti itch cream or even lotion and rash will fade, but keeps cropping up. Seems like it's been going on forever. I take acebutolol for premature ventricular beats, women's Irwins living green liqui- gel multi vitamins, fiber blend supplement, and acidophillus (all for a long time now.) Haven't changed body wash, shampoo or anything. I had my gallbladder out several years ago and wondered about my liver possibly causing the the itching, but I had a complete blood work up back last Sept and everything was fine. I had occasional itching then too. Just hadn't thought anything about it or it's getting worse. Help?!
There are many possibilities for such an itchy skin without any rash. It can be due to psoriasis, dermatitis, lice, scabies and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals, wool, soaps, cosmetics and certain foods .

You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Please take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.