Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

skin rash

I have had a rash under my left underarm for approx 4 weeks.  I changed deodorant in case I was allergice and have been using baby powder only for about a week (still there).  It looks like razor burn (no white tops though).  My inner thighs have also been itching horribly.  No rash there though although it is raw and irritated where my underwear rubs.  Today I have at the top have of my buttocks near the crack.  It  is red, not raised and looks like carpet burn.  It hurts/burns.  I have a place that looks like it under my right arm, but it does not hurt.  I don't know why I have started having all these skin problems.  I don't know if it is just were my skin rubs together or if it is a fungus.  Any suggestions?
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
It can be due to chafing skin and the second possibility is of fungal infection of the area. Chafing occurs when the skin becomes irritated by the friction caused by rubbing  either against other skin or against a foreign material. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Also wear cotton undergarments. Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful. If the symptoms are severe then it will be best to consult a dermatologist and get fungal infections ruled out.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions