small red bumps on lips

I really don't know what this is. I woke up one morning to find the right side of the inside of my lip red with small bumps and on my  bottom lip there were small red bumps. later in the day the red bumps spread all over the bottom of my lips with a tingling sensation. this morning when i awoke, parts of my lips (top and bottom) are swollen. its like when i sleep and wake, it gets worse.
there is no pain, and i know it can't be a cold sore. i am so confused and i need help. i went to the emergency room because i thought it was a cold sore and they prescribed my acyclivor, i have been on it for two days but i don't see a change.
please, any suggestions will help greatly.
From the symptoms the possibility of an allergic reaction apart from the possibility of cold sores needs to be evaluated. You can give non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms but they are available under prescription.
You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement. But if there is formation of any blisters then the possibility of cold sores needs to be evaluated.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.