Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.5k Members

vaginal itching

i have had an itchin on the outside of my vagina for 2 years my doctor tested my 3 times for thrush but the came back negative but he treateed me for it anyway. i saw a gynocolagist and had all std test done an all was negative they seemed to think it might be eczema but i have thried steroid creams but they just made the itch worse, i am now pregnant and the itch is even worse it keeps me awake at night and stops me from doin day to day actives sometimes, i have not slept properly for 18months and and it is starting to affect my children and partner as i am so tired is there anything you can suggest to me, as my doctor dont care and tells me there is nothin he can do.
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
Red itchy vagina can be due to a number of causes. First of all it can be due to allergic reaction or contact dermatitis to your undergarments, sanitary napkins or tampons, soaps etc.There is no change in the colour or smell of discharge in this case.
Secondly, It can be due to STD’s like Chlamydia or thrush or thirdly due to lichen sclerosis. It is very difficult to pinpoint one diagnosis without clinical examination and cervix swabs or blood tests. So I feel that you should consult your gynecologist for a complete evaluation as treatment will depend on the diagnosis. Till that time you can take some oral antihistaminics to relieve the itching.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions