welts

Can anyone tell me what would cause an itch to appear out of no where and cause welts to appear and the more it is scrached the more it itches....My mom has had this problem for a while now and cant seem to find out what is causing it, she had a doctor tell her it was bed bugs, so we tore her bed apart and didnt see anything, we even got 91% alcohol and spraid her bed with it and covered her matress and boxspring with vynal bed covers, even after we did that she still had the symptoms....It doesnt matter where she is at she will start itching and welts appear. just to day in a matter of a few hours she started itching and i counted 120 welts just on her back that not counting her arms and legs....We know for a fact that these bits did not come from Bed bugs....so please if you know anything let me know.....
The symptoms that you have mentioned can be due to hives which appear and disappear randomly. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Your mother can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid. But they are available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.