Gastroenterology Community

Hernia under left ribs?

I have upper left quadrant pain.

To be more specific, I've been having mild pain in one of my lower-most ribs on the left side for over a month now.
One rib feels especially sore to touch. Massaging that rib makes the pain go away. Sometimes the entire region feels sore to the touch. It is slightly painful to lie down on the left side.

Immediately below the left ribs, if you press the abdomen, you can feel something popping or crackling, and there is some movement inside (its not so if you press the corresponding right side of the abdomen). It's not painful if you press this area underneath the ribcage. But the rib itself is sore and slightly painful to press. Sometimes when I bend over I feel some movement in there, like some fiber is moving.

I had a doctor palpate my abdomen and she could not find anything. She thought it was a sore muscle or something. But I'm concerned about the movement beneath the left-side ribcage.

I was wondering if these are the signs of a hernia just underneath the ribcage, on the left side?
I forgot to add, that I can feel the movement under the left rib cage when I slouch over. But when I sit back or stand up very straight, I can't feel that movement.
Try this: slouch over, put your finger on one of your neck veins, and see if your heart seems to be skipping a beat and then beating strong one time. If it does, it's pretty much what I've been experiencing lately too - PVCs.
If you are thinking you have hiatal hernia your symptoms don't sound like it.  Then again I am not a doctor, just a person with a hiatal hernia.  If you have a hiatal hernia you would have more reflux type of issues.  It sound to me like you have more hands-on type of pain.
I have the SAME THING!!! I am a 20 year old female. I've felt that popping under my ribs for the past 2 years. It comes with mild pain from time to time as well, and when i lie on my left side I feel the pressure there. I got so worried by it that 2 years ago (when I first started noticing it) I had an ultrasound taken, but they couldn't get under my ribs to see anything (and couldn't see anything from where they could reach either). The doctor I went to couldn't feel the popping that I feel from inside either. If you find out what it is, please do post it on here. It's a strange thing, huh? It makes me very uncomfortable knowing that it's there and not knowing what it is. I've actually had some stomach problems simultaneously, but I'm not so sure it's related. Have you experienced any stomach issues aside from that? Thanks for posting.
i am 26 yrold female with the same thing did you ever find out what that was?
Have you and niceguy2008 considered "Costochondritis"? I have it in my lower left rib cage. Its an inflammation in the rib joint... (each rib has a non-moving cartilage type join a couple of inches in from the sternum). It gets inflamed and is very tender to touch, but can also cause chest type pain. I haven't re-read anything about it for years, but I believe it can be caused by being "hugged" too hard..  Basically, the ribs are a "cage" and one side can "give way"... a bit like... if you squashed a bird cage it would only break at one point... not both sides...  I'm no doctor so suggest you read up about it if you think this could be relevant.
This is strange, i am a 26 year old male and i have the exact same thing you both describe. I haven't been to the doctors and the pain is not bad enough to warrant going. I am one of those people that won't go to the doctors unless absolutely necessary. If i press on it right below the rib cage on my left side i can sometimes feel it pop or move, but not all the time. It is only bothersome when i sit down. It does cause me discomfort and i would really like to know what it is. I've had this issue approx 8 months or so. I will keep looking on this post. If someone finds out what the problem is, please post!!!!
I am a 27 year old female in general good health and I have that same
popping sensation when I bend over to pick something up. Usually I have a dull to sharp pain under my left rib cage after I eat. If I do any situps or ab exercises it kind of hurts too. What IS this?!? I also have a slight indentation in my skin about 3 inches away from where the pain is happening that my dermatologist recently said "may be a hernia". I hate going to doctors also because they are always so vague. Last night I was trying to feel around for something under my rib cage and found a pea sized bump on my rib that kind of moves when I touch it. It is sensitive. I am going to my gynecologist tomorrow and will ask her what it could be. Will let you know. Please keep posting - if you find out what it is, I'd be curious. Good luck guys!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem