Gastroenterology Community

Hernia under left ribs?

I have upper left quadrant pain.

To be more specific, I've been having mild pain in one of my lower-most ribs on the left side for over a month now.
One rib feels especially sore to touch. Massaging that rib makes the pain go away. Sometimes the entire region feels sore to the touch. It is slightly painful to lie down on the left side.

Immediately below the left ribs, if you press the abdomen, you can feel something popping or crackling, and there is some movement inside (its not so if you press the corresponding right side of the abdomen). It's not painful if you press this area underneath the ribcage. But the rib itself is sore and slightly painful to press. Sometimes when I bend over I feel some movement in there, like some fiber is moving.

I had a doctor palpate my abdomen and she could not find anything. She thought it was a sore muscle or something. But I'm concerned about the movement beneath the left-side ribcage.

I was wondering if these are the signs of a hernia just underneath the ribcage, on the left side?
I forgot to add, that I can feel the movement under the left rib cage when I slouch over. But when I sit back or stand up very straight, I can't feel that movement.
Try this: slouch over, put your finger on one of your neck veins, and see if your heart seems to be skipping a beat and then beating strong one time. If it does, it's pretty much what I've been experiencing lately too - PVCs.
If you are thinking you have hiatal hernia your symptoms don't sound like it.  Then again I am not a doctor, just a person with a hiatal hernia.  If you have a hiatal hernia you would have more reflux type of issues.  It sound to me like you have more hands-on type of pain.
I have the SAME THING!!! I am a 20 year old female. I've felt that popping under my ribs for the past 2 years. It comes with mild pain from time to time as well, and when i lie on my left side I feel the pressure there. I got so worried by it that 2 years ago (when I first started noticing it) I had an ultrasound taken, but they couldn't get under my ribs to see anything (and couldn't see anything from where they could reach either). The doctor I went to couldn't feel the popping that I feel from inside either. If you find out what it is, please do post it on here. It's a strange thing, huh? It makes me very uncomfortable knowing that it's there and not knowing what it is. I've actually had some stomach problems simultaneously, but I'm not so sure it's related. Have you experienced any stomach issues aside from that? Thanks for posting.
i am 26 yrold female with the same thing did you ever find out what that was?
Have you and niceguy2008 considered "Costochondritis"? I have it in my lower left rib cage. Its an inflammation in the rib joint... (each rib has a non-moving cartilage type join a couple of inches in from the sternum). It gets inflamed and is very tender to touch, but can also cause chest type pain. I haven't re-read anything about it for years, but I believe it can be caused by being "hugged" too hard..  Basically, the ribs are a "cage" and one side can "give way"... a bit like... if you squashed a bird cage it would only break at one point... not both sides...  I'm no doctor so suggest you read up about it if you think this could be relevant.
This is strange, i am a 26 year old male and i have the exact same thing you both describe. I haven't been to the doctors and the pain is not bad enough to warrant going. I am one of those people that won't go to the doctors unless absolutely necessary. If i press on it right below the rib cage on my left side i can sometimes feel it pop or move, but not all the time. It is only bothersome when i sit down. It does cause me discomfort and i would really like to know what it is. I've had this issue approx 8 months or so. I will keep looking on this post. If someone finds out what the problem is, please post!!!!
I am a 27 year old female in general good health and I have that same
popping sensation when I bend over to pick something up. Usually I have a dull to sharp pain under my left rib cage after I eat. If I do any situps or ab exercises it kind of hurts too. What IS this?!? I also have a slight indentation in my skin about 3 inches away from where the pain is happening that my dermatologist recently said "may be a hernia". I hate going to doctors also because they are always so vague. Last night I was trying to feel around for something under my rib cage and found a pea sized bump on my rib that kind of moves when I touch it. It is sensitive. I am going to my gynecologist tomorrow and will ask her what it could be. Will let you know. Please keep posting - if you find out what it is, I'd be curious. Good luck guys!
I have been suffering from this same ailment under my left ribcage for about 10 years.....For a time it lasted almost 3 years.  I was tested, ex-rayed, had physio...pain medication  and so on, nothing helped.  It has now returned and it has been bothering me now for 3 months.  I know it is not life threatening or I would not be here now.  Anyway, I did hear about COSTOCHONDRITIS and had written it down...however, I misplaced it, so I thought I would go to the internet to see what I could find out about the affliction.  The first time that it appeared was after golfing.  I thought that perhaps the injury started there.  Another incident was when I pulled my aging mother out of her tub which intensified the pain and discomfort.  I do not know what I did this time, however I do believe that stress may play a part in it as well.  It seems that whenever I feel under stress, I will alway feel it where I am most vulnerable, under my left rib cage.  Another thing I have noticed....is that if I put on weight it seems to bother me more.  So I am in the process of getting my weight back down.  Although, I am not overly heavy, those 10 pounds make a difference.  Hope this information will help someone.  YOU ARE NOT ALONE. sfhiggins
I have the same/similar symptoms and I am wondering if you ever found out what was causing your symptoms.
I have this also... have had it for 10 yrs or so.. it can be very uncomfortable having this pain under the ribs and around the back ..I have had mine feel like it pops out of place.. i push it where it hurts and it does relieve the pain some.. but I too would like to know what this is.. I have been to the Dr. had all kinds of tests.. nothing.
30, male..

I have exactly the same case.. though i have a big stomach which i believe is the probable cause.. plus now that "sfhiggins" mention about it as stress related.. i am more convinced that it is my unhealthy life style that started all this.. so i will try to do some exercise and focus on losing some weight. I will also try to keep you all informed about my progress.      
Hey guys, I have the exact same thing, we're such rejects eh? Haha, anyways, mine even protrudes out so i can see it, but only if im laying on my back. Ive had mine about 6 months and im waiting for an x-ray appointment to come through, if anyone wants me to let them know how I get on so it might give you an idea. My emails ***@****
today while I was working out, I felt this pop under my left rigcage,  this had never happened before.  The pain kind of took my breath away.  So I stopped working out the pain went away rather fast.  but there is still kind of a nagging side pain?  Not real painful, just like its sore.  I was then stretching my right arm to get a dish from the cabinet when the left side popped again.  I let out a scream as it was very painful.  After reading all these post, im not sure anyone has actually been diagnosed correctly.  Please keep me informed.
I am 28 year old female.  I got swine flu and coughed a lot and then it started to feel like charlie horses in my left ribs under my breast.  It went away and now it is back for no reason.  I had chest xrays done and they could not find anything wrong with me.  I also had a neurologist look at my xrays and no one knows what is wrong.  When I cough or sneeze I can feel my ribs move and almost rub together or something.  Terrible charlie horse sensations when I try to lay down.
I've also been experiencing a tender left rib, it's getting worse. It started by feeling like I'm there's something in my left side while sitting. Now hurting under left rib and feels like something sticks out. Had ultrasound, ct scan, nothing shows up. I'm getting so frusterated..  My physical therapist thinks it's a hernia.  Symptoms are getting worse and even went to emergency room in hopes they could find something.  Had anyone felt there was something in their side when sitting  but no standing?
Mine started a few years ago, it came up as feeling like I was being stabbed in my ribs. Went to six different doctors and none of them knew what to do, did x-rays, ultrasounds and all that stuff. My Left side of my rib cage sticks out and if touched it becomes soar and alot of discomfort for a few days. I hate that we all are going through this.
i also get the feeling when i am sitting down but i also get it when i am lying down in bed on my left side i then get to the point that it feels like my like my rib cage is just being squished has anyone else had this problem "PLEASE HELP"  
I also have the same symptoms. Do any of you drink alot of soda? Please respond.
Hi everyone Im a 31 and I have had this same feeling under my left rib for almost a year. It is most prevalent when I lie on my left or sit leaning to the left. While I did notice that it is most prevalent when I am stressed I have also noticed it when I am feeling a lot of joint pain! I have noticed that it is less prevalent when I take anti inflammatory meds like motrin and alleve but it does not go away. I am certain that it is not a hernia but some sort of tissue that is on the inside part of the skin, known as the viscera. It seems to rub on the left rib and if the position is correct it will hang up on the rib causing sharp pain. I have scheduled an appt this week and maybe I can work with my physician to get some answers. It would help if people listed any ailments such as cancer, anxiety disorders, arthritis etc in order to establish a pattern that may cause inflammation in this area
I am 31 and I have the same thing.  It seems to bother me the most when I lean forward or sit in a slouched position.  But it is only the left side and there is that little popping that everyone mentioned.

And yeah, it is on the left.
I'm pretty sure we all have hernias. I have the exact same symptoms as you guys. My pain is primarily at the lowest rib, front, left rib cage. I've had an epigastric hernia and it feels very similar. Weight loss will be the easiest way to alleviate the symptoms, as it will reduce the internal pressure, but the hernia (tear in the fascia) will remain, and symptoms could certainly recur, unless we have surgery. If any of you has surgery to repair the hernia, I highly recommend a patch. if they just sew it up it will usually recur.
so we all appear to have this...any ideas what it is??? Mine isn't painfull just can feel it popping and kind of getting stuck on something it feels like under my left rib cage right at the bottom going in to my abdomen...????i've asked the doctor and was told oh its nothing, ask your physio next time your there'?  But whats frustrating is that it clearly is something and i just want to rule out anything more sinister than a hernia,,...
just found this somewhere on here....this answers my questiuon i think...thought would share...

Slipping rib syndrome is a condition that is often misdiagnosed or undiagnosed and can subsequently lead to months or years of unresolved abdominal and/or thoracic pain. Surgical findings suggest the condition arises from hypermobility of the anterior ends of the false rib costal cartilages, which often leads to slipping of the affected rib under the superior adjacent rib. This slippage or movement can lead to an irritation of the intercostal nerve, strain of the intercostal muscles, sprain of the lower costal cartilage, or general inflammation in the affected area.

The medical literature primarily refers to this condition as slipping rib syndrome. However, it has also been referred to as clicking rib, displaced ribs, interchondral subluxation, nerve nipping, painful rib syndrome, rib tip syndrome, slipping rib cartilage syndrome, traumatic intercostal neuritis,11 and 12th rib syndrome. Many cases have been described in the medical literature, but this condition is rarely mentioned in present-day medical textbooks and often is not clinically known by doctors.

The syndrome may be the result of trauma, but many cases have been reported in which no thoracic or abdominal trauma had occurred. Clinically, patients often note intermittent sharp stabbing pain followed by a dull achy sensation for hours or days. “Slipping” and “popping” sensations are common, and activities such as bending, coughing, deep breathing, lifting, reaching, rising from a chair, stretching, and turning in bed often exacerbate the symptoms.

The differential diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome includes a variety of medical conditions, such as cholecystitis (gall bladder inflammation), esophagitis, gastric ulcer, hepatosplenic abnormalities, stress fracture, inflammation of the chondral cartilage, and pleuritic chest pain. A quick way to rule out these conditions is to look for an association between certain movements or postures and pain intensity, determining if the patient has experienced recent trauma (although not always present), and reproduce the symptoms (eg, pain, clicking) with the hooking maneuver. The hooking maneuver is a relatively simple clinical test. The clinician places his or her fingers under the lower costal margin and pulls the hand in an anterior direction. Pain or clicking indicates a positive test. It is recommended that the hooking maneuver be followed with a rib block (injection) to see if the pain can be relieved. Radiologic imaging is generally not useful in the diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome but may be of value in ruling out other conditions in the differential diagnosis.

Once the diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome has been made, you have to realize that nothing is seriously wrong. Avoidance of movements or postures that exacerbate symptoms may be sufficient in eliciting a successful outcome. However, in patients with more severe pain and dysfunction, nerve blocks, prolotherapy and surgical intervention may be necessary. Conservative and surgical outcomes reported in the literature have generally been good. Yet these results should be viewed with some caution, as clinicians may not be as forthcoming in reporting failed case reports and case series.

Bottom line:  rest and restrict activity that makes the pain worse.  If you cannot do this, prolotherapy or nerve block injections may offer immediate help and resolve the issue.  Surgical resolution is the last option by may be indicated if no appreciable improvement is noted.  Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Dr. J. Shawn Leatherman
www.suncoasthealthcare.net
I think Dougers is correct.  I have been having this pain under my bottom left rib for the last 20 plus years.  I can actually recall the first "pop".  I was stretching out and down (behind a couch) to pull out a drawer, and out of the blue there was an audible pop that I felt in the exact same place I still get them now.  Under the left bottom rib.  If I push on the muscle with sustained (a few seconds) pressure, it will usually pop.  If I am reaching for something sometimes I will get a pop.

A side note, I also believe I have a sensitivity to Gluten.  I am starting to look to see if they are connected/related.?.?.?
Really glad to see this forum.  I am a 31 year old female and have had this "popping" issue under my left rib cage for about a year now.  Its only slightly tender, but when I push around and probe to get this popping, its more sore the next day.  Months ago I went to my doctor.. I couldn't get it to pop for her of course but she ordered an ultra sound and blood tests to keep me satisfied.  It turned up nothing, which only means my organs are OK but what if there is something else there?  It is certainly annoying, but not unmanageable.  It's most upsetting because I don't know what it is!  Going to mention it to the doc again next month when I go.  Anyone ever figure this out??
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem