HIV Prevention Community

Is Testing After 4 Weeks 90% Conclusive?

Would testing after 4 weeks be conclusive to around 90%. Or would i be better getting p24 Test 16 days after be more conclusive than that. Saying this because I am going away and wont be able to get tested for a while.

Also would canadian medicare cover p24 for free?
NO 4 weeks would  not be conclusive not even in Canada.
Hi there,

4 weeks result is basically encouraging.  But not conclusive.

Drs said 6-8 weeks. CDC 12 weeks. but 4 weeks is encouraging. You will be fine.
I'll ask you as I do anyone else. Find ONE test that is approved to give anyone a conclusive negative result before there 3 months. You can't,  so don't waste your time. When the manufactures and the FDA believe that their tests are possible to give a conclusive test earlier than the 3 months that have been established then they'll let everyone know.
Most of the clinics in Canada do Screening for HIV 1 & 2, they dont do P24.
however if you family doctor writes the test for P24 then yes they do it for free.

As long as you have a health card you dont pay for any blood test in Canada (Well at least in Ontario). But what type of a test to do, is your doctors call.
By 4 weeks, 85-90% would probably have tested positive. The majority of people will test positive in the first month, but for a conclusive test you must wait for 12 weeks.

People here have a grossly inflated idea of HIV transmission however, and I keep seeing people testing who should not be.
i dont understand the problem here the manufacturers of these test all say 3 months is conclusive, the cdc takes that and puts there statement out 3 months is conclusive. what is so hard for people to understand , there are no short cuts.
The manufacturers say 3 months is conclusive, however, many published experiments have demonstrated that a large majority of people will test positive earlier than the 3 month guideline. This is not to say that the 3 month guideline is inaccurate, just that for a large bulk of the population, you can get a PRETTY GOOD idea on their status earlier than 3 months. A follow-up at the 3 month mark, however, is indeed CONCLUSIVE.
You can have all the experiments you want. Until the manufacture files for an amendment and it's approved by the FDA it doesn't matter. It will always be 3 months for a conclusive test result.
I understand where you are coming from. However, to blatantly ignore the clinical evidence would be rather ignorant. It is true that most people will test positive by the 6-8 week mark.

While not completely conclusive according to CDC guidelines, you can still get a pretty good idea for what the patient's outcome will LIKELY be, and reassure them for anxiety purposes, which is a factor that must be concerned when treating a patient.
You (and Teak) got it backwards.  Manufacturers put the label on the tests because of the FDA/CDC regulations, not the other way around.  The reasons are legalistic, not medical.

Yes, 90% of people will test positive by 4 weeks, yes there are many studies that prove it, HSci is right.  But 90% is not good enough when it comes to HIV.  You should test after 2-3 months if you think that you were exposed.
No the purpose of a forum is to give factual information on HIV and testing. It's not a forum to pacify a person that has put themselves at risk and has Anxiety issues. Medhelp has an Anxiety Forum to deal with those that come here with Anxiety issues.  
As normal joey you come here to spread false information. The CDC has nothing to do with the testing time lines put on the tests by the manufacture.
I did not provide any inaccurate information.

I don't see the need to get into a war of words with you, but I can provide you with numerous credible sources that will all say that most people will test positive by 6 weeks. There are also the physicians on this website who say that, and on numerous other websites.

Thus, I am not incorrect when I say that MOST people will test positive by 6 weeks, so if you do not test positive at that point in time, you most likely will not test positive in a future test.
Did anyone doubt that most will test by 6 weeks? No that has never been said. What is said is a CONCLUSIVE NEGATIVE RESULT is obtained at 3 months. You can't give someone a test at 6 weeks and say you're conclusively negative. It doesn't work that way and never will.
I said that already, I was just saying that you can get a good indicator for your status earlier...
dont know where you get your info but its wrong
I think the argument should be WHY do some people test conclusive after 6 weeks if the majority dont and test by 6 wks
No one test conclusively at 6 weeks unless they test positive.
Of course they run those tests and I've seen the results that they submit to the FDA.  They show two things: 1) the average time to a positive test is 3 weeks and 2) nobody tests positive after 8 weeks.  End of story!  The reason for a "3 month" sticker is legalistic, not medical.  It's like the "smoking kills" stickers on cigarettes - the manufacturer is required to put a warning on their product.

I don't have any problems with CDC guidelines, 3 months is a fine and sensible rule.  For the purposes of this forum, when people show up with a negative test at 8 or more weeks - there is no way they will test positive later.  It simply does not happen, period.  It is a waste of time and money for everybody for these people to retest.
You posting false information again? "NO BODY TESTS POSITIVE AFTER 8 WEEK." Right there shows again that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Now like you told nonbeliever, BACK IT UP.. You can't, so MOVE ON..
Is a negative result always a negative? NO!!  Any test done before 3 months has to be repeated. There is not one test that doesn't say that. Know what you are talking about Joey before you try to make something factual that isn't.
being young and healthy has nothing to do with a result from a test who ever said that was wrong for saying it
i just said no dr would say dont continue to test because your young and healthy
they say here a test at 6 to 8 weeks is 95 percent sure you dont have hiv they never state not to test at 3 months for a conclusive because they know most here will do it anyway