Heart Virus

Recently I went into the doctor and they thought I had a heart murmur.  I had felt more tired in the last 6 months so I thought maybe this was the cause.  A few weeks later I was given a chemical stress test and I was told that 1/4 of my heart wasn't beating due to a heart virus.  I'm unsure as to what types of virus this might have been.  I had perfect cholesterol and low blood pressure.  I was prescribed a very low does of Coreg by my doctor.  I wasn't told any treatments or what I can do other than taking this medicine.  What types of heart viruses are there? What are some treatment ideas? I was just given some meds and told to come back in 4 months to see how I'm doing.  I'm not seeing much online so anything would be good.

Thanks,
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
NTB
sources from a few years back would always be talking about Coxsackie B, an enterovirus

more recent studies found more of a prevalence of regular ol' adenovirus, plus Epstein-Barr. It's possible to take a snip of heart muscle,  but that's not guaranteed to give an answer.

AFAIK, antiviral meds won't help.

Or, you might be having an autoimmune reaction. But IIRC immune-suppressing corticosteroids don't help in such a case.

Do you live in an area where there is Lyme? Not a virus, but it can also be a cause of infectious myocarditis.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Community