Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Heart Virus

Recently I went into the doctor and they thought I had a heart murmur.  I had felt more tired in the last 6 months so I thought maybe this was the cause.  A few weeks later I was given a chemical stress test and I was told that 1/4 of my heart wasn't beating due to a heart virus.  I'm unsure as to what types of virus this might have been.  I had perfect cholesterol and low blood pressure.  I was prescribed a very low does of Coreg by my doctor.  I wasn't told any treatments or what I can do other than taking this medicine.  What types of heart viruses are there? What are some treatment ideas? I was just given some meds and told to come back in 4 months to see how I'm doing.  I'm not seeing much online so anything would be good.

Thanks,
1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
690060 tn?1247841741
NTB
sources from a few years back would always be talking about Coxsackie B, an enterovirus

more recent studies found more of a prevalence of regular ol' adenovirus, plus Epstein-Barr. It's possible to take a snip of heart muscle,  but that's not guaranteed to give an answer.

AFAIK, antiviral meds won't help.

Or, you might be having an autoimmune reaction. But IIRC immune-suppressing corticosteroids don't help in such a case.

Do you live in an area where there is Lyme? Not a virus, but it can also be a cause of infectious myocarditis.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Community

Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538180937
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506080564
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.