Do you mean that she has been taking those pills for 5 years and still have that BP?
And in 5 years they have not been changed??
If this is the case obviously they are not working with your wife.
Now let me go to your questions and some comments:
1) Valent-H is an ARA-II type of medicaments, it avoids that the Angiotensine II can be effective
2) The name of the active substance it is Valsartan plus a Diuretic called hydrochlorothiazide. You should be able to get both of them easily, either with other brand name or as generics.
3) Lotensil is an ACE-I type of medicament, it avoids that Angiotensine II gets produced. It is uncommon to take both type of medicaments together, since both act on the same substance (Angiotensine II) by 2 different mechanism. However there are some studies (The CHARM Clinical Essay ) that suggest this use.
4) The most common side effects are tiredness (from the Beta-Bloker Concor) and cough (from Lotensil).
5) After 4-6 weeks of taking a BP medication she should have lower BP or go back to dr. to adjust / change the medication.
6) Most of the time, the high BP is for unknown reasons. Some of the known reasons are: Kidney problems, Thyroids problems, lack of Vitamin D.