Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members

withdrawal from Toprol XL

My family doctor recently took over management of my treatment of palpitations and occasional nighttime tachycardia. I was taking 100mg of Toprol XL. After losing 25 pounds, I had a resting heart rate in the 50s. At the same time, Toprol was no longer being produced, so Dr. put me on 25mg of Atenolol. First night, I experienced terrible panic and anxiety, low heart rate continued. After 3 days on Atenolol, I was put on 120 mg of Diltiazem. My heart rate fell to 43 and I began to have a very erratic heart rythm. After a trip to the ER, the ER Dr. said I should take Lopressor instead, but not until my heart rate was consistently in the 70s or above. I have not started taking it yet. My concern is that I am constantly aware of my heart beat/rhtym and very, very anxious at all times, but especially at night. I wake up panicy and constantly checking my heart rate. Is the anxiety part of withdrawal from the Toprol or am I losing my mind? I can't stand this constant anxiety and I need to know if it will go away. Has anyone had similar experience?
1 Responses
592969 tn?1248329005
Withdrawal symptoms from Toprol XL can be severe.  The heart gets used to the beta blocker and Toprol XL keep the levels constant throughout the day.  The Atenolol is like Toprol, but does not keep the levels constant throughout the day.  Atenolol peaks and drops.  This is most likely why you had problems with it.  Lopressor is Toprol.  There is Toprol, which is not time released and there is Toprol XL, which is time released.  Stopping Toprol suddenly could cause heart failure, so you need to be careful.  When are you able to start the Lopressor?  Are you without any beta blocker currently or are you taking the Atenolol?  Tenormin is the brand name for Atenolol.  The brand name seems to work better, at least for everyone that I know who have taken it.    Keep in close communication with your doctor and let him or her know if your symptoms continue and what you can do about it.  Take care.
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.