Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Breathing technique to lower heart rate?

I'm a very anxious person and throughout the day I experience high levels of stress that cause my heart rate to increase significantly (anxiety alone can get it as high as 140 bpm!). However, when I've taken my heart rate in the mornings, I have found that it's in the 60 - 65 bpm range.

If I inhale, hold my breath for a few seconds, and exhale very slowly, I can get it to return to baseline (usually mid-70 range). Is this healthy or will the breath holding cause adverse effects?

Thanks.
2 Responses
11548417 tn?1506080564
No adverse effects. Inhale through your nose, hold for a few seconds and exhale through your mouth is very good for relaxation.

Deep breathing is one of the best ways to lower stress in the body. This is because when you breathe deeply, it sends a message to your brain to calm down and relax. The brain then sends this message to your body. Those things that happen when you are stressed, such as increased heart rate, fast breathing, and high blood pressure, all decrease as you breathe deeply to relax.

The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise:

This breathing exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of seven.
Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
1667242 tn?1487950547
If breath holding works for you then that is great. I,m glad you found, at least in part, a solution.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Heart Health Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.