Kidney Stones Forum

Kidney Stone complications

My mother has polycystic kidney and liver syndrome, only discovered in her 74th year, inadvertantly during an x-ray of her chest.  I know this is hereditary. (Just back ground info)
      I had kidney stones about 12 yrs ago, bi-lat., passed with fluid, after getting stuck in the ureter, inflated both kidneys.  Calcium oxalate stones.  

I have occasional kidney stones since then.  They seem to pass.  What complications from kidney stones would someone expect from this or kidney stones in gereral?

I stopped all supplements except glucosamine/condroitin, super B, fish oil and vit D.   ( I am 52 yrs, exercise, good weight and had a total thyroidectomy sub clinical hyper, also UC proctitis)   Thanks  
Kidney stones rarely lead to complications like kidney failure.

The most important detail in your comment is that you have ulcreative colitis.  Any diarrheal disease is a significant risk factor for stones and you should be evaluated with a 24 hour urine collection while on your usual diet to see what elements of your urine chemistry are abnormal so you can be given specific dietary advice or even medication.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.