unusually late period but negative pregnancy test?

Hi! It's my first time posting--hello everyone!
Just have a question that someone might be able to help with...
Ever since I got married I have had a VERY regular 28 day menstrual cycle--never late, never early.
We are trying to get pregnant, and today I am at least five to six days late for my period.
I did a pregnancy test this morning that came up negative.
How reliable is that result since I usually have such a normal cycle?
I don't have any other symptoms besides frequent urination and butterflies in my stomach that could just be from the excitement of the whole situation.
So I guess my question is whether or not it is "worth it" to take another pregnancy test; if so, when; or, what else could even be the cause of such a delay in my usually predictable period?
Thanks for any comments, etc!
Katie L.
Wow, I'm so happy I've found this site.  I have a 7 month old son, and when I found out I was pregnant with him, I had the same symptoms as I will be describing below.  

I'm currently on day 38, and no AF yet.  I usually get my period anywhere from day 29-31.  I've had TERRIBLE heartburn lately, extremely emotional (alot more than usual) and of course late period.  I've taken two HPTs and they both came back negative.  I'm thinking to wait a week, then take another.  If I don't get my period, and not pg, I will contact my dr.  

Patience
DS Sean 7/3/03
I too am sailing in the same boat. Have had regular periods all along but am now on day 46 and still no sign of it happening.

My pregnancy tests are negative and I havent been feeling very pregnant. I have a 2yr old son and when I conceived him I got a positive result on a HPT on day 37. My GP is not interested in even doing a blood test. Cant really stand the suspense any longer...any suggestions....
i'm really glad i found this post - i am in the exact same situation and you all sound so positive that it gives me hope.

I am a 28 day cycler by the book, O on day 14 and all that good stuff. Well this month AF decided to play peek a boo. She was due 2/18 and it's now 2/23. I'm 16 DPO today and am still getting BFN on HPTs (early response ones too!) With DS I took the HPT at 22 DPO just because it was the holidays and I didn't have time to obsess like I do now LOL.

I've thought I was getting AF on 2/21 - spot of pinkish reddish on TP and then nothing but 2 brown TPs after that. I am scared to go have a BT because I don't want it to be absolutely negative yet...this way I still have some hope.

Anyway, I'm just glad that I'm not alone. Thanks :)
I was also glad to come across this thread.  I would love to hear any updates on how things have turned out for other.  I am 30 and a mom of 2 boys.  I have had fertility problems in the past.  Blocked tubes so I am definately concerned that if I am pregnant that it could be a tubal pregnancy.  I am only 6 days late but with the other 2 pregnancies had early positives.  Now I took a home test when I was 3 days late- negative and a blood test 5 days late- negative too.  They wanted to start me on provera but I wanted to do a little research first.  I was having many pregancy symtoms along with the late period such as feeling tired all the time, nasea,and my husband and family even said that I had the pregnancy glow.  Then I got the call today, very frustrating.  Then I started felling like I might start.  This evening, I had very light spotting - would have missed it if I was not looking, but nothing ever since.  I have a call in to another doctor for a second oppinion too.  But would love to hear what has happened in similar situations.  Could I be pregnant even with the neative test and very light spotting.  Could it be a misscariage or a tubal pregnancy, or just a late period.  I am so confussed.  Thanks for all who respond and can relate!  Good luck to all!

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Am I Pregnant? Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.