Respiratory Disorders Forum

Post-nasal drip / Rhinorrhea

I've had post-nasal drip for about 5 months now, with no other symptoms. No sneezing, no "runny nose", and no nasal congestion/obstruction. The mucus looks and feels just like the stuff that comes out of the nose when I get allergies or a cold, but it drips into my throat and mouth instead of from the front of the nose.
We have done various blood tests and scans, but nothing has given any indication as to anything abnormal, and none of the treatments we've tried have had much effect either.

I have the following questions:
1) Several treatments (e.g. ipratropium bromide) state that they are effective for rhinorrhea but not for post-nasal drip. What does this mean? Isn't post-nasal drip just "rhinorrhea that runs down the throat"?
2) Is there anything else that it could be, other than rhinorrhea?
3) If it is rhinorrhea, why am I getting zero coming out of the nose, when there is so much going down the throat?

Thanks.
Post-nasal drip can originate in the back part of the nose that opens into the throat or it can originate in the sinuses.  And, yes, there can be other causes including nasal polyps, adenoids and acid reflux from the stomach (GERD).

With the recent (5 months) onset of a new symptom, it would be wise to have a direct examination of your nose and throat by means of what is called a fiberoptic laryngoscope, a procedure best performed by an ENT specialist.  You might best ask your doctor for a referral to a specialist.

Good luck
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.