Respiratory Disorders Forum

Sore throat after exercising

I have multiple symptoms that have been bothering me for over two years.  I used to be a college athlete (swimming, soccer) just 3 years ago, but now experience tight throat and trouble breathing any time I try even light exercise, then wake up the next morning with a sore throat and it takes days to recover.  Also, after exercise my neck hurts when I wake up, mostly the right side.  I have had post nasal drip and pressure in the eyes and cheeks and get tired very easily.  Allergy tests indicate I am allergic only to dust mites and molds, but no antihistamines have helped (I've been on Allegra, AllegraD, Clarinex, Allerx).  I have a history of anxiety, but don't mentally feel stressed, just aggrivated I can't do things I used to enjoy.  Also, I have about 6-7 swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my neck, my doctor said they are nothing to worry about, but hasn't been able to do anything to alleviate my symptoms.  The symptoms seem to be worse in summer - does this make sense for dust mite/mold allergy?  Do you think anxiety could be a cause of some of these symptoms?  Any advice for relief since the antihistamines don't seem to be effective?
Dust mites and mold thrive in humid conditions.  If you live in an area where the humidity is high in the summer these allergies could be adding to your symptoms.

The diagnosis most commonly associated with the symptoms you have described is called vocal cord dysfunction (VCD).  This is a condition that can mimic asthma.  However, VCD is not helped by asthma medicines.  While inhaling the vocal cords should open to let air into the lungs.  With VCD the vocal cords close together during inhalation.  This makes it difficult for air to get into the lungs.  A lot of the same things that trigger asthma can trigger VCD including upper respiratory infections, fumes, odors, reflux, cigarette smoke, singing, emotional upset, postnasal drip and exercise.  Sometimes the trigger is not known.  These attacks are also often seen with panic attacks or anxiety.  Testing needs to be done while you are having symptoms.  Breathing tests may be normal, but the
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.