Respiratory Disorders Forum

Vitamin D and Calcium

I have been diagnosed to have Sarquidosis of the lungs. According to my Pulmonologist/Specialist in General Internal Medicine. The Professor has prescribed - Prednisone 40mg / alternate day; Antibiotic- Amoxycillin trihydrate equivalent to Amoxycyllin 875mg and clavulanic acid 125mg; Vitaman D 50000iu /week and  Titralac 2tablets twice/day.

My question- is Vitamin D not bad for Sarcoidosis?
Will the Titralac (calcium) and the Antibiotic combination not reduce the effectiveness of the Antibibiotic.

I understand the reasons for prescribing this meds is to strengthen my bone structure.

Please let me know if there will be any problems should I take all of this as prescribed in relation to my Sarcoid problem.

Many thanks
The rationale for the prescription of calcium and vitamin D to a person with sarcoidosis is unclear.  Hypercalcemia, a high calcium level in the blood, is common with sarcoidosis due to the uncontrolled synthesis of vitamin D causing increased absorption of calcium by the intestine.  Both hypercalcemia and hypercalciuria, abnormal amounts of calcium in the urine, pose significant threats to an individual and are considered complications of sarcoidosis.  Calcium and vitamin D are conventional treatment for bone thinning, called osteoporosis, but with the risk of increased calcium in blood and urine of people with sarcoidosis, they should not be used to treat osteoporosis.  There are other medicines, for example Fosamax® (alendronate), for the treatment of osteoporosis that do not depend upon alteration of calcium metabolism.

Given the above, you should ask your doctor why he has asked you to take calcium and vitamin D, when you have sarcoidosis, a disease complicated by high levels of both.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?