Sleep Disorders Community

Dreams/Nightmares that feel real and I can't wake myself up

Okay, So every now and then I will have a dream or dreams that really scare me. Pretty much its a dream I'm having and I'm myself... in my bed. In my dream I will open my eyes and see human figures but usually I can't tell who it is. If I can't its dark like a shadow. Sometimes its one, or sometimes it a few figures. These dreams/visions always happen just as I'm falling asleep (ya know when your mind starts to wonder right before you doze off, eyes are closed and everythign but you are still conscious).... that stage is when I realize that I'm about to have one of these scary dreams. so I'll either opt to stay awake or turn the lights on for a minute then try to sleep again. The most recent one I had, I was asleep in my bed with my boyfriend...in the dream I opened my eyes and I saw out of the corner of my room a strange figure of a man walking towards my bed.... I cant do anything, I cant move and I can't talk... at this point I'm scared and I know I am ony dreaming. Well I try to wake my self up I try so hard to be able to speak and call my boyfriends name... and this is all while i'm asleep... that right as I wake up I blurt out a noise( the kidna noise you would make if you were trying really hard at something but not saying anything and then all of a sudden noise comes out) It's so frustrating. And in the dream I feel paralyzed like I can't even get up and run. All I can do is lay there... and If I don't wake up before the person gets to me... I can feel the "person" on top of me... literally..I feel their breathe... I feel it all... and what gets me is I KNOW I'm dreaming... and i try to wake up but I cant. and even though I'm aware that I'm dreaming I still know that I'm feeling whoever is on my bed or whatever)
The first time I had one of these very realistic dreams was a couple years ago the night after I drank mooshine for the first time.... ha yeah. (Basically I had a really bad case of the spins alll day the next day and I felt completely out of whack) Well that night as I just went to sleep I was dreaming that I was driving a car and the wheel starting to slowly turn to the left and right as I was about to hit a car my body jerked and I woke up. I stayed awake for a min or 2 then went back to sleep... thats when it all went down hill. The next dream I had... I was in my bed (by the way all these dreams are from my point of view...1st person) and I woke up to see a frightening girl with long black stringy hair and a horrible face, on her hands and knees on top of me just looking at me and breathing heavily.... I swear to god it felt so real.... The only thing I could think to do was hide under the blanket... but right before i drew the balnket over my eyes she slowly, very slowy moved her face inwards towards me. I knew I was dreaming but I could not wake up... Well once I did wake up... well I thought I did... I looked to the left of my bed and there was a about 3 people just sitting in my room... it didnt scare me at first cuz I thought I was awake and I figured maybe it is some freiends surprsiing me... but just as I tried to get a closer look a person who was laying on the floor next to my bed sat up right in my face! It scared the livivng **** outta me. that's when I really for real woke up. Anways I couldnt go back to sleep for a few hours I was a little frightened... I felt as though I would get stuck in a dream like that... And I wanted to avoid haveing another one like that again... I did go to sleep that night however all of the lights in my room were on....
I know this is really long. But I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing or something similar. I'eve had more but I don't want to write a whole novel here but if someone can relate then please let me know!
Have you ever had a sleep study? Sometimes sleep disorders contribute to bad dreams. When I had untreated sleep apnea I had bad dreams all the time. Rarely have them any more. Dreams are so subjective, and I'm certainly no expert, but in the examples you've given, there seems to be a common thread as related to breathing. In the one -  unable to speak then make sudden noise - could represent having an apnea event then suddenly exhaling forcefully as apnea resolves. And feeling someone scary on top of you breathing in your face. Then the one with someone laying beside your bed and sitting up abruptly could be induced by a resolving apnea event too. If one's oxygen level gets too low it can cause hallucinations. A friend used to see giant spiders on the wall, and it turned out to be due to low oxygen to the brain during apnea events.

Maybe your dreams are not related to sleep apnea. Who knows? There are other sleep disorders than can cause some of the things you relate, but it's almost as if there's an overlap and sounds like bits of more than one. There are realistic dreams when one is falling asleep. There is sleep paralysis. A good sleep doc could sort thru your description and narrow it down.

Are you on any meds that could cause this? I know someone who sees figures as you describe and said she keeps a flashlight handy and once she flashes the light on the figure it disappears. Hers are medication induced. But if you can't move, you couldn't use the flashlight.

The sleep boards are full of descriptions such as yours. You are not alone. What to do about it depends on the cause.
I know this sounds silly, but if you suffer from this, do not fall asleep on your back. I have experienced this so many times, and every time I have felt as though something evil is happening, often with dreams featuring demons and the devil etc ( I am not religious, but I know a bad feeling when I get one). I also am aware that I am not awake and need to wake myself up, but I am always completely paralyzed and mute. Often I will think that I have woken up, then I wake up again for real. It terrifys me. However, if I manage to wake myself up or move, I turn on to my stomach or side and it doesn't come back. Before I discovered this I would have it up to 3 times in a row. It scares the hell out of me now, and the only time I'll sleep on my back is if my fiancee has his arms around me. Obviously if this doesn't work, get some proper help. But somehow it worked for me.

Good luck!
i had the same dreams  and am juust 12 andsome times i can see die people and talk to them no in my family no about this just me lol right am ok at times =3
hi, i had a dream i was in a bed. in my dream my though process was stupid, slurred, drugged. i was loopy lightheaded and confused. there were three men in the room with me (it was some kind of hospital room) they were talking but i couldnt hear them, i slowly, very slowly, started to become more and more awake. i could feel restraints on my body, i could feel the pillow and how carelessly it was laid under my head, it hurt. eventually their words could sort of make sense, i was trying to talk but i couldnt say anything, i could feel like light blankets on top of me, i couldnt really see them except out of my peripherals. all i could see was this ceiling fan, and i could feel the air blowing on me and it was so cold i wanted another blanket. finally i heard the word 'lobotomy' i was ok with this, sort of, still fuzzy headed beyond all belief. then i realized what the word meant and then i realized that they were talking about me. i immediatly sobered up i was horrified, i kept trying to move but i couldnt. i could just feel my fingers. i knew i was dreaming and i freaked out i tried and tried again to wake myself up but i couldnt do it. i started to try and think logically so the first thing i thought to do was change the seen. i felt myself standing up but then i was just standing staring straight up at the sun in a field, wearing stupid hospital clothing, the three men were still there and now sun was shining in my eyes. i was horrified i switched back to the uncomfortable little bed. my next move was to try and switch bodies, so i switched into one of the men, he had a gun and he was big and i could see myself laying dopily in the bed, i realized i could only stay in his body for just a few seconds. i would then get switched back into my useless fuzzy brained self. i somehow managed to focus my thoughts, it felt like forever that i was stuck in this scary, too real dream. i was out of options. i remembered out of the blue that you cannot die in a dream without waking up. a sickening thought came to mind. just kill yourself. i couldnt move though, so i switched into the mans body, pulled out his gun and shot myself right in the chest. my once completely lifeless body recoiled and locked eyes with me, then sneered. i woke up. i thought i was totally crazy.
hey! i experience something similar in which my dreams feel real, it will be a normal dream like me walking down the street or something and will feel as if i am accually doing it, if i get a burn in my dream i will wake up and my hand or whereever i got burned will keep burning for 5 minutes at lest and ill have a red mark, or if i pass by a garbage i will be abel to smell it or if i get kicked i will wake up with a bruise or jsut hurts there, but one time i had a dream someone was choaking me and i almost chocked in real life untill my boyfriend and bestfriend woke me up saying i was choaking and i was turning pale. im not sure if this helps but jsut thought i would share my experiences with you :)
Kay well.
I dont know what it is either, but i've been reading things on the internet and it says its sleep paralysis.
Cause i get it alot, where im in my bed and im just laying down and im dreaming that im in my room just walking or doing my make up and then i walk to the door to get out of my room but it sends me back to my bed so i cant get out of the room. And i knew i was dreaming and i just couldnt move, couldnt scream or do anything! I got up about 10 minutes later and i started crying and freaking.
That was after i woke up to something in my face which is quite common to what you have seen with the girl with long stringy black hair and a horrible face on top of me. It felt so real but i just couldnt move or do anything..
Im not really sure what you could do about it , but maybe see a doctor or something.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?