Help

I've read a lot of forums and I'm still not sure what is wrong with me. My menstrual cycle can vary from 28- 40 days in length, it changes every month. Me and my partner always have sex with a condom and I've never had unprotected sex. This month, a month after my last period, I got a heavy brown, thick, stringey discharge (sorry TMI). I also had bright red blood when I wipe but nowhere near as heavy as my usual period but I still have to wear a pad. It is day 5 now and I don't have brown discharge but light bright red blood which is also strigney and the occasional pain in my left side and a bit of a temperature. Has anyone he anything like this before??? Please help
Update: day 7 and I'm still bleeding, it's slightly lighter now though but still enough for a pad.