Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What is the best way to detox from narcotic pain killers?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Viewing 801-862 comments:
Praise the Lord, I am asking Him to heal me and take away the craving.  I have heard many many people say He took away the want/need for pain meds and they never had any detox.  I am walking on faith, pray for me.
How long did the detox take, till you started feeling better?
OMG!! That's my hole life.
im 31 im about to start a very important part of my life in October and I have to move and I have to move I have been taking roxys and oxys for almost 8 years prescribed but I have to stop im abusing them and my back is better now ive gone colde tuekey before in jail I was clean foe two months so mi know I can do it but I was forced but it was nuts I basically pissed and **** and threw up all over my self for almost a week it seemed  like probably shorter I even hulucinated  it was super scary my question to you is you said your a week in at your house are you taking anything to help detox or did you just go cold turkey?
Hi and welcome.  It sounds like you are ready to get the pills out of your life for good and that is great; there are lots of people here that have done this and can share experiences and suggestions with you.  However, this thread is old (originally from 2003).  If you copy and paste your post onto a new thread, you will get more responses from members who can specifically address your current needs and situation.  Just copy your post then go to the top of this page and click on "Post A Question" in the brown box; then paste.  Good luck to you . . you CAN do this!
If you live in Southern California and have a opioid addiction please consider participating in our clinical research study for addiction. You will be given study medication and all study related visits at no cost. You may be eligible for compensation for each completed visit. Call us at 866-478-8391 for more information.
thank God i found you.. this is my 2nd day of detox and its hell.. i ganna get off oh this nasty habit. I live in the San Diego area. where are you guy located? my email is vazkez_g17***@****.. i would really really appreciate it.
Following a severe car accident five years ago I was placed on Fentanyl patches for chronic pain. I was first placed on the 50s the the 75s now I am using the 100s every 48 hours just to control my pain. During the car wreck both my legs were broken, the femurs, plates were put in, my left arm was broken so severly, they considered amputation, now it is bolted at a 90 degree angel at my elbow, I have no use of it what so ever, they only way I can use it is by moving my shoulder, and sometimes even having to throw it out of place to catch my self in a fall. My pelvis also was broken and pushed up on my left side 3/4 of an inch higher than  my right side, leaving my left leg 3/4 of an inch shorter than my right leg. My calcaneus bone, on my right foot was broken, I also have a plate in it. Not to mention, I suffered from a sever TBI> traumatic brain injury, and my left atrium in my heart was to was torn, basically leaving me to bleed to death. My family was called in basically to say goodbye to me, the doctor at the time did not even know where the tear was just that I was bleeding to death from my heart. I pulled through the heart surgery, with only the grace of God and a very talented Doctor, whom I owe my life to. After almost 3 months in a coma to control the swelling in my brain, I was allowed to come out of the coma. At this point I had lost almost all my memory, could not speak due to them nicking my vocal cord when they placed a trac in my neck. I basically had the mind of a child. I knew nothing of the wreck, of having children, it seemed as my entire life had been wiped from my memory. After spending months in therapy, I was taught how to speak again, I must say my voice will never be the same again, I now speak very course, but at least I can speak, with the help of electronic voice stimulation, I can now speak, for short times before my voice goes out completely. I am just thankful to all the persons involved in my surgery's, and the persons helping me recover. I had even been placed in a nursing home for about 2 months to continue my therapy. After getting out of the nursing home, I made an appointment to visit my family Doctor, which he had been for over 10 years. Needless to say I was wheeled into his office for my visit. He just barely recognized me, I had gone from weighing 150 pounds to about 95 pounds. I cried and so did he. After reviewing my medications, I had brought from the nursing home, and what seems to be a booklet from the hospital where I had been treated. He came up with my treatment plan. The new treatment included the fentanyl patches to control the severe pain I was in. He placed me on most of the same medications I was on from the nursing home, which also included dilantin, to control my seizures I now had due to the brain injury. And about 12 other medications I was being treated with. He placed me on the pain medication, and after a few short days on the fentanyl, I took my first step alone, something I had not done in about 6 months now, with the help of the CNA, that had been placed with me, he taught me how to walk again without a walker, which that is what they had used in my rehabilitation, I now found it possible to walk with help on my own two feet. After about a month of this, I revisited my Doctor for a follow up. And told him of the great news. At that time I was left on the 50 mcg patches.He made me appointment to visit him every month for the next at least 6 months, for follow ups and many x-rays, for him to see for himself where I stood in my disability's. At this point I had already been approved for my Social Security Disability, due to the fact I had worked for 27 years straight, and had paid in all my quarters with them. Most persons that have not worked like I did, they only get to draw SSI, I got my SSD, but had to wait for 2 years for my medicare. After about 3 months, he upped my patches to 75 mcg, I was fine and was doing pretty good, had learned how to walk with a cane by now. But I still needed help with baths and other personal items, like shaving, brushing my teeth and changing my as you might want to call it my adult diaper. Due to the Scar tissue left in my penis from being on a catheter for so long, I had lost the muscle control of my bladder. Next was the upgrade to 100 mcg fentanyl patches to control my pain. I had done well on the 75s for a long time but my body just became immune to them. Now to make a very long story short, I am up to 100 mcg patches every 48 hours. I am not sure where this goes from here. I am now 5 years into this recovery from my wreck. I just wonder, will he continue to up my fentanyl or will he place me on a stronger break through med. At this point and time I have not much of a choice. Without the pain medication, plainly spoken I can not even get out of bed, much less walk. I realize this has been quite a long story to get to this point, I just wanted every one to know, that I am not a drug addict and my pain is very real. It has left me not many choices in my life but to continue to take pain medications. My prayers for everyone is that you never have to go to the point where I have been in my life. I just wrote what I felt in my heart to allow all to know what has gone on in my life and what I have to face in life now. I am only 50 years old. And it scares me to death what I face 5 years down the road from now. Will I go back to a wheel chair and being bed ridden for the rest of my life? Or will something come along that will greatly help me? Until then it is all a mystery, I will continue to do what my Doctor tells me to do. I Thank each of you that has taken the time to read my story, May God Bless and Keep Us all, and what we face in your life's.
I am really glad I found this site... I need advice !! I have a small problem with oxycodone but not an addiction.. It might have turned into addiction but my husband broke down and told me he is addicted and has been lying to me and hiding it for a while.. I wanted to be mad but I knew that wouldn't help so I just hugged him and held him and told him I would do whatever it took to get the old him back .. I had pretty much figured it out before he told me cause we used to snort them together so I knew how he acted when he did them.. The advice I need is how best to help him.. He just told me last night and he wouldn't go to work today.. I tried to push him to go but he got very angry and refused so I gave up.. So he is sleeping again now while I try to decide what I can do.. He mentioned going to a doctor.. I know he will never do rehab , it's too public and he would miss too much work.. We both have the best families we could ask for but they are old fashioned and I would like them not to have to find out.. What can I do for him!? Is it better to push him and be the bad guy and upset him or to just go with whatever even if its not what I think is best (like not going to work)
Help !!
The first thing you need to do is admit you do have an addiction, until you do that, you will never get better. Secondly, after you come to terms with your addiction you need to star the withdrawal process by tapering off, and you need to include him as well. I have been addicted to pain pills on and off for the past 30 years. I have been clean for up to 5 years, but then something happens.. and we all know the rest of that war story. At my very worst I was going through 1000 10 mg Percocets a month. I had a guy who could get the pharmacy bottles, and I was set. Its not easy, as a matter of fact it is the hardest thing you will ever do. Ive been to rehab, it didnt take. The only time Ive ever managed to get off of them and stay off of them was when I did it myself. Tomorrow, take one less than you did today. In a week take 2 less then you did today, every week take one less.  If you are feeling pretty good next week, take 2 less, you get the picture. You have to take it slow not only to give your body time to adjust, but to also get your mind wrapped around the fact that the party is over. Good luck to both of you. I know exactly how your feeling, Ive been there. I'm there now. Again.
I have been on the Norco 10/325 for 5 years. I hate to say this you are abusing the medication. Try to wean down. Take the script as what your Doctor prescribed. I have a bad withdrawal experience this past 2 week coming off Duragesic and I did it cold turkey. I would advise you since you  have a child to start taken less 1 in the morning 1 in the middle of the day and if you feel you need 2 have more at night to sleep take 2. But I would try only 1 after a week of doing that start cutting out the one at mid day and then the more you don't take the better you are. As I write this I'm doing the same but I'm cutting my pills in half just so I have enough for the bring me down. You can take ibuprofen 3 pill at a time for the beak through also, Good luck I'm doing  this and its working so far for me. Also you will have a runny noes for a couple of days as the medicine leaves your body.
Ebson salt bath helps a lot but don't put the amount they said on the package only like a cup to a full bath .
My son is a year younger and has been to private and court ordered rehab 2x and still struggles. You may be an adult however you need an advocate helping you. There are programs out there for people with no insurance and starting in Jan 2014 under the National Health Care Act you will be able to get insurance. It takes a lot of research and perseverance to get the right help, start with a family doctor tell them the truth and ask for help. There are programs they can recommend. Do not take no for an answer. Prayers and best wishes
Hi my name is Ricky.   I have been taking Hydrocodone for about 1 1/2 years. I can't let my spouse know. They are 80 years old and it would destroy them. My job is to take care of him.  I am 63 and was going to a pain doctor for my neck and back.  I am taking about 4 a day.  Only in the evening most times.  

I've been noticing that I am not wanting to do anything anymore.  I am choosing to stay home.  So friends are getting further away from us.  I never in my life thought I would be on such a drug.  My doctor is both our doctors.  Can't tell him.  I feel alone as I don't have anyone to talk about this with.  

Can you drop off one a day.  I only have 30 left and I am off the clinic I was at.  I can't go to the streets.  I'm to old for that.  I want my life back and be happy and just get rid of these things.  I want to put them in the trash but fearful I'll get to sick.  I read I could have a stroke or heart attack.  

My spouse is ill and I do need to take care of him.  I don't have the ability to go into rapid detox.  I am fear full I am going to end up dead and who will take care of Mr. C  
Hi Ricky - you responded on an old thread! Please go to the top and click on the orange button that says "Post a Question" and copy and paste what you wrote here. This will allow you to begin your own thread:). You're in the right place and will get tons of support. Good for you for reaching out and we're here to help!
2 years ago I went for an MRI and was told I had a neck that looked like 60 year old steel worker. I was 38 and do semi hard labor.  I have multiple disk problems, herniated, bulging,  and overall horrible disks. I was also told by the MRI I had two bad and deteriotating disks in my back. In April I fell down a flight of stairs working and completely shredded my shoulder.  Two surgeries including 6 anchors for labrum, and AC Joinr removed, and some minor stuff on the rotator cuff. Two weeks ago I went to the dentist form a throbbing tooth ache.  The next day I had oral surgery removing 11 teeth, removing some jaw bone, and part of my nasal cavity, because of an out of control infection. THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE, never any problems  before.  For 2 years I was prescribed 90 7.5 hydros a month, in December he added 60 30MG.MS Contin a month.  During all these surgeries I had a ton of medicine and the worst pain in my life. I called to make an appointment with my general doctor to discuss this medicine with him, two times he said it wasn't needed. Then the oral surgeon gave me more meds. A total of 36 7.5 hydros, and 40 7.5 Oxycodones. Needless to say Walgreen's called my general doctor, he got very upset and dismissed me, taking the 90 Hydro and 60 MS with him. The hydros that the orthopedic had been prescribing ran out two months ago, he was giving me 30 7.5 hydros per week for 3 months.  This is what I wanted to discuss with my Dr. when he said theier was no need.  My mouth is about 90% better and I feel only a little pain in it. Of course all the neck pain is 100% back, and the shoulder pain is about 50% still there.  I know I took too much and confessed this in a letter to my general doctor after I gt the dismissal letter. I was taking about 5-8 7.5 pills a day, which I know is too much. However the pain was unimaginable. Once the mouth started it was pure hell.  I did this to my self, and I know I'll have to live with this. I've confessed this to my wife and I had a family meeting with my 3 kids two nights ago to expalin to them to hang in with me for a week while I go through whatever it is I'm going to go through. This was day one and it was PURE HELL.. My doctor is also our family doctor and he decided he would still see my family.  Knowing this I basically begged him to not dismiss me telling him in no way was i purposely being dishonest with him. He said he would take me back, but would never prescribe narcotics again.  I don't want to be on all theses pill my whole life, I have a young and very active family. One kid in college playing baseball and 3 others that are very active in sports as well. It's not my goal to be on drugs.  With that book being written, I ask for help. I'm in day one of cold turkey. I have some Ambien i can take at night to sleep, but it was tough last night even with it. What do I do?  How do I make it my entire life without having anything to help with my neck , back, and shoulder. But at the same time stop taking as much. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,   KWC...
Imonium AD and Zantac together will help along with bananas and Gatorade. I quit 4 times and went back. Now Im looking at number 5. I quit smoking clove cigs, so thats a start. Its physical and mental. More mental than you might think. Im with you, as is everybody else here. Im on 10/500 at 120 each month for last 4 years. Doc made me pee last time to see if I was abusing. Ill never forget one doc saying, you are gonna blow out your liver! Good luck on day 2 bro,,keep me in your thoughts too,,we will kick this togewther.
So here I am two days later. I took 2 10MG Hydro's yesterday. One in morning and one about 5:30.  It was very tough but I made it. Today was hell when I woke up. Felt like I was 500 lbs and couldn't' move. That's what ***** about all this, the meds do make life easier in some ways. Like pain. Back, neck, shoulder, leg, teeth. So I took one 10MG Hydro this morning and made it to 3:00 and was going nuts. Shaking, hitting the bathroom, moody with kids, so I did something that I don't know if it will hurt or help me.  I went to this glass store and bought a small bottle of stuff called Kratom. It was a little bottle of liquid. A friend of mine told me about it and said it helped him get off 30 pills a day.  But holy crap that bottle was 20 bucks and made me feel about like 2 7.5s or maybe 2 ten mg Hydros. It lasated about 1 hour and then gone. That's an expensive herb and I don't know if will help me or hurt me.  I know I'm going to half to hit hte Imodium (immodium) tomorrow cause I feel my stomach rumbling now.  Have youu heard of the Kratom. Good or Bad?  Next question,  I have to go back to work in 2-3 weeks after being out because of the accident since April.My friend called me today and said if I didn't think I would get fired he could get me some Cannabis Heal tongue drops. Do you know what he's talking about.  If tested willI get fired, and is this helping me get off the pills or hurting me. Thanks for your help brother, this is a living hell...
Living Hell indeed. I feel for you. Pills trick you and deceive you. Bondage and entrapment is what they are. But your body has been used to being fed. Yanking the food away, the body rebels. But the sun comes out of the clouds, I promise. I havent heard of that liquid, but if it helps you walk away, by all means, rob a bank and stock up! If you can taper off like you are doing, then continue. But it has to be all the way sooner or later. Watch your life change INSTANTLY when you are free. Get to the point where you could hold a bottle of roxies in your hand and you would have no desire to indulge at all. When I started to leave them behind, I was scared and afraid of that hell feeling. But as I went along and I took the imodium (immodium) and Zantac, I was able to feel normal. Also, if you can, working out will sweat the toxins out of your body and transition will be easier. I know some people are turned off at the mention of excersice, but it is huge. You will be so happy and proud of your self when you are free. No more worring about going to the doctors office early cause you went through your script, or buying off people and losing money. The more pills you take, the less you feel the,,You are chasing the dragon, and the dragon wins everytime. But I believe will help and reward his children when we do whats right. The flesh is a MoFo. The flesh only cares about self gratification and nothing else. It dont give a hill of beans about you! Yes? Now put the pills away and beat them, please! You will come out on the other side and you wont be a slave anymore, I promise.
I started taking and using the Kratom myself. I have been using it since Tuesday and haven't had a pill since. I use to take 6 10/325hydros a day plus 2 10mg oxycontin for the last 2yrs, and it's so far so good. So we shall see if it works the way we are hoping.
I have a problem I am 22 and have a bad opioed problem I take hdrocodene 10s mostly 6 or 7 day sometimes more and when I dnt have those I buy oxicotion percent doldine off tthe street iv been on um for two years and iv tried to quet and just Caint iv been to rehab once but was thinking I need to go agin my life revoles around them and I'm tired off it I'm going broke buying um I'm horrible to be around when I dnt have um any help whould be great
I see these are all from 2003 ... I am in hell. Going cold turkey from Norco after ripping my rotator cuff. Drinking to offset the Norco but have restless leg syndrome, vomited all morning, wise awake, chills, feels like the flu oh and I'm being electrify. My nerve endings are on fire! Liked reading all the support. I never thought this would become a problem for me.
I just recently went through detox for a week to get off vicodin and then got UTI. Doctors gave me 4 painkillers and took 2. Would that set me back. Any suggestions. I didn't want to take it but was in pain and couldn't sleep

Suboxone is trading one addiction for the other. Yes it helps for awhile but then it turns into the same thing. My fiance was taking 20 lortab 10's a day for almost 6 years straight. We found subs and it was like prayer were answered.... Now He is going threw hell. His doctor had him taking 3 subs a day 20mg a piece. He has been on them now 2 years and today is the first day with out any he cant taper off of them. He didnt go to  his doctors appointment he canceled it. His son wanted to know why he had to take that medicine and when he didnt have it...It was like life was over. He is being strong tho. He went to work this morning with nothing at all. And he is feeling like he is just ready to give up. My advice to anyone really wanting to get off of them... Go to the emergency room they are going to give u some pills most likely to hold u off and a list of doctors that willl be able to help u. Insurance or no insurance your going to have to pay just as much for sub doc. Why not get off of everything all at one time instead of setting your self up for another painful experience and ur family. Everyone has the will power. Some people just have to find the one thing in there life that gives them their will power. Wether it be kids, spouse, brother, sister, dad, mom ETC.  its better to do it sooner then later. And if you have no one but your self... that's just more of a reason to quit. Also better yourself, for yourself! never someone else. If you don't truely want to quit then there is no since in trying. You will just be setting yourself up to fell. You have to truly honestly want it.
I know how bad you are feeling but it sounds like you have done about the best things that you can  it may feel like right now is the worst you have ever felt but trust me if you go back and then start the detox process over you will feel 1000 times worse.  Stay on the road you are on and each day will get better  listen to music and focus on yourself you dont want to end up like me and waste ten years of your life everytime I detox is far worse than the last
   reading everybody's story is such torturous painful poetry. misery makes good art. i really understand and have my own demons. i know the answer to the problem. they have to start prescribing the meds daily as oppose to monthly. just like the meth clinic. anybody who gets there meds by month are gonna be out in two weeks. if your suppose to take 3 pills a day then that's what you should get. i know the logistics seem difficult but it will save people from severe addiction and will allow people severely addicted to ween down responsibly. you know when your out you would kill or die for three. to me its the only way. right now there basically cutting people off cold turkey which to me is just plain mean! they have no idea that there gonna drive people to heroine,crime,and suicide. suboxone can be just as hard to kick. i used to use trams when i wanted to ween down to reset my tolerance. they still work good but there tough to kick as well. i hope you all find the strength you need to carry on. as for me i'll never quit. i cant see life being the same without my ole friend. i just learn to live with it and accept my life for better or worse. good luck...
I have been in 2 sever auto accidents. In 1996 I was hit from behind while at a dead stop and the same thing happened again in 2006. I have been through 15 operations. I have 4 disks in my neck fused with a titanium plate, my wrist has had 5 operation which has resulted in a full fusion, my left shoulder has 2 tears on my rotator cuff and is fully frozen, I have had both knees operated on, I have half of my sigmoid colon removed and have stainless steel in my abdomen. I have 7 herniated disks and my bottom 5 lumbar disks have no cartilage left and they are rubbing bone on bone. I have degenerative disk disease and the 2 disks above and below my neck fusion are disintegrating. I think I have covered it all but with such a long list it is easy to miss something. When I was in my fist accident I was out of work for 4 years and was on disability and they made me apply for social security disability which I was awarded but turned down because I wanted to go back to work. I finally applied again at the end of 2012 and was awarded social security disability again without any problem. They did make me visit there doctor and their doctor agreed with my primary care doctor and my neurologist and awarded it without a hitch. I am in constant pain and have been on many medications, Percocet, Vic oden, Avenza, Kadiak, Duogesic patch, Methadone and now I am on MS Contin 100 mg 4 x a day and Hydrocodone 15 mg 4 x a day. I have never taken more meds than prescribed and I never ask for an increase in meds only increased when asked by my doctor and I usually say know. In fact I many times take less and kept the extra knowing the with social security disability it takes 24 months to receive Medicare and money would be short. Even though I take the medication  as directed and I need it to just take the edge off the pain (never goes away) I know if I was to stop I would go through withdrawals and this bothers me. I never took the meds for fun but it really bothers me that I am dependent on them. I have read that if you take the pain meds for too long it exacerbates the pain so I think I might like to stop for a while. I think I would maybe like to stop and try without them but I am afraid if I go to the doctor they will never let me use the meds again and if the pain is too much and I cannot function I will not be able to change my mind. I am not sure what to do.
Hang in their, Take lots of minerals.If you can through the 72 hours then you can do it. I fell off a mountainand have 24 fractured ribs and a broken ulna in my arm. And I said I was done when I took my boy friend who almost died and is now recovering in the hospital for taking way to many pain pills.. He is 41 in diapers.  I found some compunding medicine I get from a pharmacy that helps with the pain. My boy friends body shut down and I will never get that out of my head. Try Ester C, potssium and diarrera pills and nausa pills to get you throught it. And try a rest if you can.
I have been taking anything from Lortab 10's to Oxy's, Lorcets. Basically whatever I could get my hands on. That has been going on for about 4 yrs. I got to where I could easily eat 20 or more Lortab 10's a day. I have been trying to get off of them for a while now, only more recently have been much more serious. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what helps with the withdrawals. I went 2 days without taking anything and man the 3rd day was absolutely miserable. If someone could help me or give me tips to get me thru or past this very very dark time in my life, it would be much appreciated. Please someone help me.
Been on 2-5 10/325 norcos for 8 years. I'm on day 6 going cold turkey. I had some low back pain to start but just became an addiction. Pop a couple and start drinking. I was loving live. It helped my energy and i could sleep like a baby. I thought this is the best thing ever. I then started hitting the streets for it. Giving up 500 a month of my hard earned money. I never took a alot in a day and have stopped fora couple of days here and there. About three yearsago i got gout. From drinking too much and eating too much. No big deal just took another pill. A year after that high blood ppressure. No problem just another pill. 2 weeks ago i find out im diabetic. Now another plus my heart is getting weaker and need more testing. I guess my point it all started with abusing the pills. Ii just been ignoring the warning signs till now. The first two are the worst. Get some sleeping pills, imodium (immodium), zantec for sneezing and b-12 for energy. DO NOT DRINK. Personally i never had a strong desire to drink until the pills. Work out. That seems to help. After day three you are feeling much better. Pills still on your mind but atleast youre coping. Today will be day seven. Ive changed my diet, working out and feeling positive. Im 52 now am 6'2 and weight got as high as 217. I plan to beat as many issues as i can that i caused. Its simply one day at a time for now. Currently only taking melatonin to help me sleep. No Imodium (immodium) or script sleeping pills. Hit the supplements hard during this time. How do i hhonestly feel? My biggest issue is lack energy. Once i regain that i really believe i will win. Hope this helps anyone.
Well this is day one. I've tried to quit a couple times and then a bottle falls in my lap basically. Goin to try soma on this first night. I hate my days revolving around pps . I want to function on my own again. The only time I really been off them in the last 5 or 6 years is bein locked up.. So all that misery just faded it or something. They have took complete control of me.
Yes, today will be my first day tapering to kick the habit. I lost my job because of this numerous times and just recently. I have romitory arthritis in my back between my disc and a bulging disc as well as a cartilage tear in my lower to mid back. I was told one disc is almost entirely gone and may need replacement. Though I have done back shots and it helps for a week or so and then the pain comes back. I am 33 years old and was told my back is like a 55 to 60 year old man. Oxycodone 15mg 5 times daily and opana 10mg time released twice a day. I also take Xanax for my stress of pain/ anxiety as well as sleep medicines ambien or temezaphem. I need to get off all these as I I'm looking towards a brighter future. I do retail and stand on my feet all day and I know that doesn't help the problem much. But what can I do it's the area of which I have the most experience. I hope someone reads this and understands my pain. And maybe can throw me some feedback on how to deal with the pain and be able to get a good night's rest without all these medicines. Wish me luck! And desperately seeking advice. Thanks
  I was addicted to pain killers after a back injury.  I tried rehab twice, didn't work.  I was going down hill fast in that I could only do things like work, kids etc  if I had my pill of choice...anyhow's...I reluctantly called a methadone clinic...and it has saved my life!  I have seen so many people who when they started couldn't hold down a job, now working full time.  People who couldn't play with their children...now laughing and playing with them.  With me it saved me from losing my home...my children are now on the honor roll and haven't missed a day...where as before there were days I was just too tired to take them too school.  It is a life saver!!  And unlike rehab you don't have stop working and leave your home for a month or two.  I hope this helps.
I broke my back 3 years ago and had two surgurys on it. I became addicted to the pills i was on. I finally kicked them and went on with my life. For the last few months its been hurtting non stop. I have no DR no insurance so iv been buying them off the streets whatever i can get. Earler this week i ran out, i felt awful didnt want to move im muscles felt extremly tired, my skin crawling, sneezing, hot and cold flashe, and major depression. I never ment to get addicted i really didnt. I feel like im letting my family down cuz i keep getting more so i wont get sick i dont know what to do. Last time a friend of mine gave me methadone to mask my sickness, i dont have that now. I want to stop this and be sober for my family so i quit looking for pills and spend that ti.e and energry with them. If anyone can help me plz im open to anything right now. Thank you
If anyone is reading this please help ive been hooked on pills for 7 years its a secret addition I work full time pay my bills and take care of my family but I have to have up to 6 vicodin a day and 2 sleeping pills I am so tired of living like this I cant stop buying the pills and im afraid im going to kill myself with pills and leave my children with no mother I feel like a prisoner please help..me
I am trying to get suboxone because I want to quit shooting up morphine but I am not rich nor have any money in the bank and I was told the strips cost $600-$1000. there is no way I can take up that habit, that's way too expensive. Is there any place that will pay for that at least once? I tried a Substance Abuse Service but they want me to go to detox and then rehab and I don't want to go through this alone. I want to be with my fiancé. He doesn't do anything so I will have no temptation so I don't understand why people can't just help me the way I want them too....ahhhh! Its so frusterating especially when im already in the middle of detox and about to relapse cuz I cant get any help cuz I cant stand this! I hope u can help me somehow...please.
Will weed help?
How many tramadol were you taking a day when you stopped.
Wondering how you are doing?
I am on day 3 of a pretty heavy heroin detox, I've been using for about4years pretty regularly this past year didn't go a day without it (using interveniously) I did go to the ER and got colonodine, and a muscle relaxant... I haven't slept but maybe 3 hours in those days. The pain in my bones and restlessness is driving me crazy,I have taken a few hydro 7.5s each of the 3 days..but I really don't even want to do that but it's unreal how my chest freaks out if I'm not moving my legs. While the lil bit of hydro is in me its tolerable but still very uncomfortable. So I guess I've been tapering down? How much longer should it take if I just stop everything now? I don't think I could handle much more than 3-4days more of this..
Hi Mel
You have posted on a thread that was started 10 yrs.ago and you may not get any responses.
If you go to the main page of the substance abuse page and then hit Post a question, copy and paste what you wrote into it, you will receive much more help.
I know you feel like hell right now.  Heroin is hell to come off of from what I have read here.  I have detoxed off of oxycontin several times and that is bad enough.
I think your best bet is to stop the hydrocodone now and just go with it.
3 to 4 days may be just what it takes.  You may go into immediate full blown withdrawals so be prepared.  Imodium (immodium) and lots of fluids.  I loved Gatorade or orange vitamin water but find what you like and have lots of it on hand.  Keep posting as there are many who have been in your situation.
This is just what I'm going through! Runny nose, etc. I'm just now trying to cut back! I was taking way too many and didn't even realize it! It seems like most of us had doctors that just kept prescribing them until we said no more! This time my Doctor said were done, enough is enough! I considered in house but my insurance will not cover it, so I'm trying to do this alone! I hate the monkey on my back!!! It is the worst plus having the back pain I have when I don't take it! I will be seeing a pain specialist in December? Let's just hope that it works for me! I have lost two friends to suicide because of their back! And I have to say I felt like it a few times but I'm trying to stay focused on The Lord and my health.
Iv never done something like this before but by what iv seen on here someone might be able to help me out in here!!! This might sound dumb I'm 24 I had back  suergey  at the age of 20 I had 2 rodes an 4 bolts put in my back I've been hooked on pills since iv tryed so many times to come off of them It works for a few days then I seem to fall right back into it again I feel like it makes me feel normal I'm takeing up to 150 to 200mg of perk a day it's makeing my life fall apart if I don't have them I can't think straight I mean I still have back pain but not as bad as I think I tell my self its worse every day as I'm takeing more n more pills. I stay to myself about a lot of thing from my family n friends I feel like they look down on me for it bc iv been throw it some many times so I just lie n tell them I'm no longer on the meds if anyone on here can give me any tips to help me out that would be awesome...
v never done something like this before but by what iv seen on here someone might be able to help me out in here!!! This might sound dumb I'm 24 I had back  suergey  at the age of 20 I had 2 rodes an 4 bolts put in my back I've been hooked on pills since iv tryed so many times to come off of them It works for a few days then I seem to fall right back into it again I feel like it makes me feel normal I'm takeing up to 150 to 200mg of perk a day it's makeing my life fall apart if I don't have them I can't think straight I mean I still have back pain but not as bad as I think I tell my self its worse every day as I'm takeing more n more pills. I stay to myself about a lot of thing from my family n friends I feel like they look down on me for it bc iv been throw it some many times so I just lie n tell them I'm no longer on the meds if anyone on here can give me any tips to help me out that would be awesome...
Hey lightman...welcome.  You have posted to a very old post.  Copy what you have above to a new post & you will get much more feedback buddy.

Lets surprise all your friends & family & get this done for good!   The feedback here is great...just start a new post.

Were all in the same boat.
I am just taking the first steps - admitting i am addicted to pain pills - norco.  I had to tell my immediate family.  It was hard since i have always been the strong, logical, very "together" person.  It is humbling (scary too) to admit my short comings to those i love. I plan to work hard overcoming addiction.  With the help of family, trusted doctor & detox center it will happen.

Please bigmistake, do not take your life.  You CAN overcome your addiction.  Let's do this together!  I will pray for you too!
From, starting_anew!
Hey there !  welcome to the forum. This is a very very old thread . If you want you can go to the top of this page and hit post a question. You can then make your own thread and you will get tons of support. Great job on wanting off these pills. You are doing the right thing and You can do this and be happy
Hey girl.  This is a great place to come but you posted on a very old post.  Create a new post and you will receive much more support than here.

This goes for everyone new on this post. Please start new post good luck to all.
I read this blog even though its an old post about a week ago...and wow this with the pure will power I feel I have done pretty good! I was in a jet ski accident on labor day in 2001 ....ran into a rope doing about 60 mph at my neck! I know lucky to be alive right?? Well to make a long story short I ended up going to about 4 docs trying to get my pain controlled until I found a not only helpful one but a very cool and understanding doctor( so I thought) Have been taking 10/500 Lortab 2.5 (X) a day unless I went out on a casual hangout nt w/ my wife or buddies then I would occasionally take .5 to 1 more. Nothing ever more because it felt like a wolverine wrestling a honey badger in my belly! I only took halves also....but KY started getting strict and ultimately was too hard for me to go by the new policies enforced by the state...not to mention he was a really bad doctor! He ended up killing a client by overdosing them with over 3 different kinds of painkillers and 2 kinds of valiums and xanax....and had several complaints from pharmacists stating he gave early refills w/ a very high number of pills more than can be counted. I guess that's why I I loved him! He hooked it up....I horded these lil blue demons and probably had over a thousand of them and thought man Im str8!  Well I ended my relationship back in Feb. 2013 and have been coasting on what I had until the end of Nov. I popped my last bottle.....WOW I thought ....it is going to happen . I am going to end this. I own a tattoo shop, work for a very large trucking company , and own a small distribution company, w/ a hot wife and 2 small boys under the age of 9.....I cant got thru that! So I started doing all kinds of research and so far I have went from 2.5 to 1.5 a day in a week in a half. I will tell you point blank it first sucked really bad ...had horrible stomach pains and restless legs that woke me up thru the first couple of days. After reading this post I mixed a bunch of everyone's self help withdrawal reliefs. So far ZANTAC 150 is a wonder drug!!! Really helps out with the stomach pain. Just got my Kratom today and wow took one about 30 minutes ago and it does make you feel like taking a painer!  SO I feel I am on pace to beat this and my New years resolution is to be Painkill free for the rest of my life. I am only 32 and am in really good shape and have also realized that the more you just stay busy and no matter what make daily goals you will kick this! Hopefully this can help anyone out there! GO CARDS!
Hey I'm Vicky and for the past 2years I've been taking oxy's and perc. I really  liked it made me become more than just a person I didn't see the problem doing it until. 6 Months later I found myself sucking into a place where they were every and easy to get a I the money to by it all. Then I got a job that was fast past I knew I could do it but that one day I did it in the bathroom I couldn't stop. Then once I didn't have money to get it I couldn't work my bf tried his hardest to get us on track but I couldn't picture my life without it. Now for some reason I want to stop but if I stop then the money stops but if I go to work then I will get back on    
Ive been on pain killers for ever and am tired of them. I am ready to leave them behind but fear the detox as ive done it before and i am trash for weeks. I have peaple to suport and just cant go through it.
Welcome to the forum!  More than likely you got to this particular "thread" by google/bing.  It's a really old thread so a lot of the people aren't around anymore.  It'd be great if you started your own new thread by going to the top of the page and hitting the orange post a question button.

That will put you on the current forum page and a lot of people will see your post and can help in anyway you like.

Hope you'll hang around....you can be FREE of addiction....many of us on this forum have made it to the other side~
I know what ur going threw im on tabs and I live in a place where they r all the time but mine split me and my wife up but if the pills r where u work then u should try to find a different job
I know of a great option that helps you with withdrawal.  I know someone who tried it and he said it worked really well.  Search the web for Nexus Vitale--they have a thing called Ritiro (it's a package of supplements) that are amazing for helping you get over opiates.
I have been taking 5-7 10mgs a day for the past year and 1/2. I start today with my detox and am off work till Thursday. So about four days to come off. Am I just wishful thinking or is this possible since I haven't been taking them too long? Anyone thoughts would be nice. Thanks.
This thread has gotten quite long, so we're going to close it and invite members to start a new thread for questions on this topic.  To do so, please click the "post a question" button near the top of the page.

*********** THREAD CLOSED ************
NO MORE POSTS, PLEASE.
Viewing 801-862 comments:
This discussion was closed by MedHelp moderators.