Addiction Expert Forum
Beginning Dose Switching from Oxys to Sub for Pain Mgmt

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

I am on Oxycodone 30mg, currently taking 4-5 daily for pain, but am prescribed for up to 8-9 per day.  I have MS, Crohns disease, Degenerative Disc Disease and other Auto Immune Disorders.  In the past, I have never been on pain medication for long than 18 months at a time, depending on flares, with the exception being the last four years during which time I have been on them continuously. For a variety of reason I DO NOT wish to continue with opiate treatment for my pain at this level and have been slowly decreasing the type & strength of meds I've been using. I've recently discovered suboxone and found it to be a perfect fit for me. My Dr. has agreed to prescribe it as a pain management maintenance med, in sublinqual form (rather than the butrans patch as I'm told is 'norm' in pain management when addiction is not an issue), because of my issues with previous trans-dermal systems.
My question regards starting dosing and beginning dosage amount.  My Dr. indicated he wants me at 1 30mg Oxy a day before switching to subs, but I thought you had to be in withdrawls to begin?  Also, since the purpose is not to treat addiction or eliminate opiates per se, but to reduce and manage at a level I am comfortable with, is it necessary for me to wait/go thru the entire step down process on my current meds to get to down to 1 pill? Is it instead possible for me to simply go into slight withdrawls at the level I'm at by just not taking my dose for 12 hours or so and then begin the suboxone?  I'm just eager to start, get off the Oxys and get my life back and do not want to have to wait, going thru some drawn out, month long step-down process in order to switch over.
Any info is Greatly appreciated!
You should definitely follow your doctor’s recommendation. Withdrawals can affect not just your comfort but the safety of your wellbeing. He has your history in mind and your best interest. Titrating down before the switch can be easier and safer. Please discuss with him before changing your plans. It sound that medically you have been through so much that one month won’t be so long to make sure you are well …All the best and Happy Thanksgiving!