Addiction Expert Forum
Eating plastic and other objects

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Eating plastic and other objects
I am 20 yrs old and a father.
I eat plastic and rubber and paper. It is embarrassing when people as why half my remote is missing. I eat it everyday. My wife use to think it was funny now she is so use to it she does not react it anymore. I have been doing it since i was 8 yrs old or younger. Am i going to get some type of disease or die? I have pooped out plastic before because I ate so much.

Thanks,
Tony
You have condition called "pica". There are several reasons for developing it, some of them psychological, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and some of them physiological -stemming from lack of some minerals or other abnormalities in your labs. The latter can be easily checked in the doctor's office. OCD can be treated with medication. Eating plastic can be detrimental  for different reasons: i.e. digestive disorders, injection of toxins, etc.  I would advise you to see a doctor to solve this issue as soon as possible. Good luck to you.