Addiction Expert Forum
Marijuana withdrawals

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Marijuana withdrawals

My husband was addicted to marijuana. But he decided this New Years to quit. He doesn't have self control to get off it slowly. So cold turkey it is. Most things I read is that it is just a mental addiction. But my husband seems to be having harsh withdrawals. He is having hot and cold flashes, and sweats a lot. He feels shaky. He has no appetite. Everything just doesn't taste good to him. My husband tells me he doesn't know how he feels, and just wants this to stop already.

He has been tempted more then once, and stayed with quitting.  My question is what can I do to help him? I hate seeing him suffer, but this is what is best for him. I never have seen anyone struggle this much to let go of marijuana. He has done it in the past. He struggled with it for a week. Missed work a lot. We can't afford him to miss this time. Please, I don't want my husband to suffer for trying to do what is right.

May God be with you all,
Kimberly
Up until relatively recently there was a general misconception in the medical community that there were no physical withdrawals from cannabis. However now we know that even though those symptoms are not life threatening, they do exist. They start usually  24 40 48 hours after cessation of use and last for up to two weeks. Most can be described as depressed mood and appetite and increase in anxiety and sleeplessness. He should try to stay active during the day, eat small healthy meals and stay  well hydrated. It will get better in a few weeks and he will be so proud of himself for doing this and so grateful to be done with it. Good luck to both of you.