Addiction Expert Forum
suboxone and fibromyalgia

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

suboxone and fibromyalgia

i also have fibromyalgia and taking suboxone 8mg/2x day.  havent slept for 5 days my pain is soooo bad.  i took some tramadol and nothing.  i see me dr. in 4 days and will ask for pain help.  i will also ask for help for the insomnia.  do you have any suggestions for me to ask the dr. about for my pain management and insomnia?  i really thought this was a moderate pain reliever and forums say they all are drowsy.  why the idiopathic reaction for me?  sorry about the multiple questions!  could you send me your aswers to my email?  ***@****  thank you! :)
I believe the problem is in your taking Tramadol together with Suboxone. Tramadol is an opiate and by taking Suboxone with it you are causing a withdrawal reaction. You should be off off all opiates including Tramadol for at least 24 to 36 hours before starting Suboxone, then its opiate properties will be apparent. Let me discuss your fibromyalgia, if you indulge me.
Fibromyalgia has significant pain associated with it, however opiates are not a first line treatment for it, not should it be last. There are a slew of medications that should have been tried years ago and there are many new ones that have came out since that have proved very helpful for fibromyalgia. Together with those medication therapies physical therapy, exercise, weight loss, smoking cessation, meditation, yoga, Pilates, better sleeping patterns, etc.; all have been shown to work better long term then opiate maintenance.
So, what I am trying to tell you, is in the long run you best option is not long term Suboxone, or other opiate.
A good neurologist should be able to treat your fibromyalgia without opiates.  If your doctor does not have good suggestions, it is time to find a new one. In the meantime read my blog about Suboxone and my other thoughts by clicking on  my name in blue and following the links to blogs or journals. Good luck.