Adrenal Insufficiency Community
adrenal fatigue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

adrenal fatigue

My mother has adrenal  fatigue. She is blaming her health on stress. My mother leads a very controlling lifestyle of extreme eating habits, financially living out of her means, and overall not taking care of herself in a good way. Her Dr wants her to slow down, start walking, stop drinking and stop the with the dieting (constantly changing from raw to no dairy to no carbs to no protein to no wheat now no gluten... ect, ect) She finally convinced the Dr to put her on Prednisone, which she happily takes but refuses to change her lifestyle. My question is, can you blow out your adrenals and just live on Prednisone? It seems so unhealthy all the way around and I am worried for her.
Prednisone will suppress the adrenals - any dose over 5mg. So yes, she can get the hyper energy from the pred but it will be at the cost of her bones, muscles, eyes and adrenal glands.

And if she does it long enough, yes, then she will have to take a replacement. Pred is not what is used as a replacement usually it is hydrocortisone as it does less damage to the body.