Alcoholic, Living with an Community
How Long?

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

How Long?

My father has been an alcoholic for almost 20 years.  Is it too late for treatment, and how effective will it be if I were to force him to enroll in a treatment facility?
Alcohol effects each person differently and at different intervals.  There is no way to tell if your father is a candidate for treatment without him seeing a doctor.  Is he still drinking?  If so does he want to stop?  I have found that you can not FORCE a person to change, this has to come from them and only them; I know I tried for years to get my mother to stop drinking, she did it on her own terms.  Unfortunatly for her she waited too long, and the damage was already done.  The liver is an amazing organ that can regenerate itself and although the scarring of cirrosis (cirrhosis) will never go away, the new growth can maintain a persons life.  My mother passed away from this aweful disease, but there is hope for some.  My uncle has used Milk Thistle (he has cirrosis (cirrhosis) too) and his liver is regenerating!

Watching my mother struggle with the effects of this disease was the hardest thing that I had to do.  She suffered for three years with different symptoms that are common with Liver disease, but in the end it was aweful for her, and she knew that she did it to her self...She regretted it, all of it!  She passed away this March, she was only 55 years old.

If you dad does not want to stop drinking, all you pleas will mean nothing.  Does your father know the Lord?  He can receive his strenth to battle this demon with the Lords help!
Dear monarch,

Is it too late? No. How effective will it be if you force him? Probably not at all, he's got to want it.

Best of luck,

Bob D

It is never too late for treatment. That being said, you can not force someone to get sober, they have to want to do for themself. If he is ready for help, by all means get it. Good luck.