Alcoholic, Living with an Community
sexual dysfunction

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

sexual dysfunction

My husband is an alcoholic and for the last year he hasnt been able to maintain an erection... he went to the dr and got viagra and he is thinking that is the cure for him..

My question is shouldnt the dr be investing this further to check for other possible health conditions.. his alcoholism could be the culprit of many conditions. it is sad to say that my husband has been an alcoholic for many years and that has to wear out your body and i think now that things are starting to show up..
It is the nature of alcoholics and addicts to always look for the magic pill (or drink) that will allow them to continue their substance abuse.  My husband has done this as long as I've known him - since 1985 - but it's only recently become clear to me.  They will do anything OTHER than stop the drinking that is causing all the problems.  "If I just take this pill, the wife will be happy and I don't have to stop drinking."  

I'm sure your husband's doctor is well aware of his alcoholism, but he can cure that problem.  Only your husband can do that.  All the doctor can do is treat the symptoms.  Aside from the sexual dysfunction, he should have a liver function panel performed (simple blood test) to see how his liver is doing.  

My husband's liver enzymes have been elevated for years but he just blew it off because it was "dangerously high."  He made up every excuse in the world for it BUT his alcoholism.  Now his liver is in trouble and the doctor made it very clear to him that he has to stop drinking or die from it.  Guess what his answer was to that?  A two-week alcohol binge with a supposed quit date of January 2.  Can't get through those holidays without alcohol.  I am so NOT looking forward to New Year's Eve.
So really this can be related to his liver ??? well i am not surprised he has been drinking for years ever since he was a teenager and he is now 51 years old... it is sad that he is drinking himself to death it really is...
   he is also getting a bloated stomach and i am thinking that if his dr were to do some testing on him i am sure that he would find alot of things wrong with him... he really needs to be in detox it is discusting the amount of alcohol that he consumes...

for my hubby he has been off for a week this christmas and it has been one big drunk for him and he will settle down a little once he gets back to work next week...

it may be too late for him with some health issues that are coming up this is so sad:(

It's a hard thing to watch someone we love slowly commit suicide.  That's what both our spouses are doing.  There really isn't anything you can do other than encourage your husband to be straight with his doctor and at least have a full physical done - including liver function labs.  See, there's this little thing called "civil rights" that interferes with the best of spousal intentions.  Everyone has the right to make bad decisions and refuse health care.  I refuse to listen to my husband's litany of bodily complaints.  The only answer is to stop drinking and do what his doctor tells him to do.  HE has to do it.  I can't do it for him.
I know how easy it is to get discouraged and I have felt that discouragement. But you give me (and others I'm sure!) hope that God will do for us what He has done for you.
I know this post was rather old but I wanted to follow up and check on your and your husband to see what they discovered.  The further along the alcoholism progressed, the worse other health symptoms became.  For my mother she always passed her physicals with flying colors, doctor would tell her she has the heart of a runner and her liver is fine.  It wasn't till after she quit drinking and got tested years later that her liver showed signs of damage.

With the male alcoholic I had a relationship with for about 5 years, it got to the point where he was in fact experiencing erectile dysfunction.  I do think this is a common side effect.  I am curious though if the doctors pinpointed this towards your husband's liver though.  Please update us if you see this :D